Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Big Knob Router Advice

Hi all,

I've been using a Mackie Big Knob for a while in my home studio. I like it. Click image for larger version

Name:	big_knob_front_slant.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	871090

I'm looking to make something similar for my work, but with less features. I have a few high level ideas to ask you all. But first, the basic idea:
    Two inputs, each with a stereo mini plug, each with a mute button, each with a potentiometer. Probably will have one from my computer and one from my iPhone. Then, I'll combine the signals into a big knob potentiometer and a mute button. Then have two outputs, each with a button to choose to use it or not. One output will be for my headphones (stereo mini plug) and one output will be for my KRK Rokit 8 powered speakers (TS balanced or unbalanced?).

Here are the questions:

1) Should I include a headphone pre-amp or anything in the system? Any recommendations for something that will sound good but not color the signal too much? I want good sound but don't want to destroy the signal. I don't expect to be doing a lot of mixing on this system, but if I were to mix something quick, I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

2) Should this be a powered system or just passive? That will depend on the answers to the first question I suppose.

3) The two outputs behave a bit differently--line level for speakers but headphones for the other. The speakers don't totally want line level output, but I assume they are slightly different than the headphones. Thoughts?

4) Any other snags I should look out for when designing the circuit?

Thanks for the feedback.

Just to make sure I'm thinking straight on this;

2 x stereo input channels with individual level controls. Then mixed down to a single stereo signal controlled off one pot. Signal then split into stereo headphone out + balanced line out. Mutes on both inputs and outputs.

Too many losses for a passive system. Is the output to the speakers stereo?

Comment

Yes, I'd like to keep stereo channels throughout.

How about this? Start with 2x stereo input channels (each with their own level control and mute button), then mix down to a single stereo track, then run through a headphone amp, then give a big knob master volume control, then use a toggle switch to choose one of two outputs (headphones or speakers), and then route to the output jacks.

This might simplify things a bit. I'm worried about the toggle switch causing a pop in the speakers or headphones when switched. Any advice on mitigating that pop? And any other advice in general before prototyping?

Comment

I don't see this as difficult. Something like a Behringer Xenyx502, Mackie MIX5, and other brand similar units are on the market everywhere. They have two stereo inputs plus a pannable mic input, they have built in headphones amps, plus the main out to send to an amplifier. Phones and main out levels are independent. Under $50. Similar products incrementally can be had with more channels or more features at pretty much any level you like.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thank you. These both do much of what I want, but not all. Neither have a mute button or large main control knob. I can probably get used to knowing which knob is the mains if it's small. But the mute button is needed. When I'm listening to music and get a phone call, I need to instantly mute the music and pick up the phone.

So, I may work on building a mute button only and using these devices. Or building my own as listed above. I'll have to think about which I want more.

Comment

Those are basic, you can get a small mixer with a few more channels and it will have mutes. Your mixer will have to feed into an amplifier for the speaker, you can easily put a mute switch on that line. I think once you have turned it a couple times, you will have no trouble finding the main volume control. Or dab some sparkly hot pink nail polish on the knob top.

I am not married to those choices, I was just using them as examples of inexpensive commercial products that do what you want, or at least come close. There are a zillion more products at every level of complexity you could want.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
            X