No announcement yet.

Tap water on cleaning sponge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about cleaning the tip on a napkin, paper towel, or rag, by spitting on it?
    Does that pass protocol?
    I'm sure no one here has done that?
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

My bench top is carpeted, but has worn away at the front, exposing the wood. I have been known to wipe the tip off on the wood.

One can make it more complex than it needs to be. ANything that wipes away the oxidized loose solder and leaves a clean tip is fine.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        I wipe mine on my tongue you pansy
        Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        Don't call ME a pansy, you sissy. I have been known to wipe the tip off on the wood.
        [exercise in creative editing] Ouch!
        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

I used to use the brass pan-scourer type of cleaner. What put me right off was one day while the sun was shining through my workshop window I noticed a shimmering metallic haze of solder particles as I cleaned my iron. I really don't want to inhale that stuff. Despite my preference for the pan scourer, it had to go and I'm back on sponges.

BTW, I cut mine from cellulose decorator sponge.

Comment

Sponge sold for solder tip cleaning presumably contains chemicals that help keep the tip clean. I noticed many years ago 1) using tap water, the sponge would foul and even start to stink after a while, and B) sponge other than those meant for soldering irons either quickly fell apart (cellulose) or melted (plastic). So I bought a bunch of 'em maybe 2 dozen from Active Electronics, gotta be 20+ years ago. They even have grooves in 'em, nice touch. And each is 2x the size of my sponge dish so just cut 'em in half & have enough to last a lifetime. I wet with distilled water, scrape solder nodules off when they accumulate, change sponge about once a year. Hey it's about time for a fresh one - I'll do it after lunch today.

Got a Hakko brass turnings pad too. Handy to have both. The brass pad has lasted me a good 15 years, starting to get tatty but still does the job.

Of course anything will do for field work, wet paper towel, denim pants, bare piece of building lumber. Get on with it, save your worrying brain cells for more important stuff.

Years ago I saw a solid block of some sort of chemical advertized for tip cleaning, some sort of ammonium something. Any clues on what that was? Guess I didn't miss the boat avoiding it, can't say I've ever seen one in use. With all the other chemicals, smoke & particles on the workbench, who needs ammonia added to the mix? FEH!
            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
              ...Years ago I saw a solid block of some sort of chemical advertized for tip cleaning, some sort of ammonium something. Any clues on what that was? Guess I didn't miss the boat avoiding it, can't say I've ever seen one in use...
              That's a sal ammoniac block. I have one but only use it to restore tips that won't clean on the sponge. Usually because a tip was inadvertently left on a hot iron for an extended period and lost all its tinning. Since it isn't needed for normal in process cleaning the small 3/4" x 3/4" x 3" block has lasted for decades. Its useful to clean an otherwise good tip that has a spot that just refuses to tin. One official solder tip cleaner product is the Weller WPB1 "Polishing Bar." More expensive than just buying a sal ammoniac block but may have some composition differences.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Weller WPB1.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	844579
              Last edited by Tom Phillips; 01-18-2017, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Me too. I used to use a damp sponge and go through a new solder tip about every 6-8 months, they wore down so fast. I switched to a brass "curly" scrubber from the dollar store a half dozen or more years back, and the it still looks as good as new.

Comment

A curly scrubber from the dollar store.

Does 'scrubber' have the same meaning in the US as the UK?

Most of the curly scrubbers I know don't look as good as new.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                    A curly scrubber from the dollar store.

Does 'scrubber' have the same meaning in the US as the UK?

Most of the curly scrubbers I know don't look as good as new.
                    Curly scrubber here in the US would be a mass of coiled ribbons made of brass or copper. Show us "other side of the ponders" what you mean.?.

My proper name is Charles but I've always gone by the American short version of Chuck. There was a Brit that shopped at the paint store I worked in when I was in my twenties. He was often vigilant about letting me know what that meant where he came from.

So I killed him.
                    Last edited by Chuck H; 02-02-2017, 11:48 AM.
                    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Various definitions;

1. A vulgar or promiscuous woman
                      2. A woman who has many brief sexual relationships
                      etc.

You get the picture

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                        Various definitions;

1. A vulgar or promiscuous woman
                        2. A woman who has many brief sexual relationships
                        etc.

You get the picture
                        Can't see any reason not to keep one in the shop then.
                        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                        X