Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender 3016 powered mixer intermittent sound

Hello,

I have a Fender 3016 powered mixer with intermittent sound problems. The sound can range from no signal getting through at all to partial signal to full signal. It does not seem to be correlated with length of time the unit has been on or any heat related issue. It also does not seem to be correlated with mechanical vibration. What does make a difference is if a large signal is suddenly input - like I whack my hand on the mic. It seems to "wake it up" and full sound returns. I've done this enough times that it is definitely not coincidental. Also, the problem occurs on all input channels - it is not channel specific.

Any ideas what might be causing this intermittency keeping in mind that a large input signal seems to restore sound?

Thanks,
    Greg

My first thought would be switching jacks. Does the thing have insert points on the mains or "power amp in" jacks? If so, run a 1/4" connector in and out of them several times and see if you can duplicate the symptom. They probably need to be cleaned or replaced.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

It's a combined unit with mixer and power amp in the same box. There are two 1/4" speaker out jacks. I can try cleaning them although I don't think it is that.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregS View Post
        It's a combined unit with mixer and power amp in the same box. There are two 1/4" speaker out jacks. I can try cleaning them although I don't think it is that.
        No, look on the front panel, lower right hand corner. There's a series of jacks where you can customize the use of your mix/amp. One is a "power amp input" jack, that's the suspect one. It ordinarily receives the EQ's output without anything else plugged into it. HOWEVER after years of corrosion this connection may not be assured.

Similarly, there's an EQ in jack? It receives the mixer's output, another place for your signal to get lost.

Now you know where to direct your attention, back to The Dude's recommendation, see post #2 ^^^.

Also we have a sticky where you can read all about it until the sun goes down:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t28549/

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Failing that, yes the output jacks may also be suspect, different reason. If they're attached to a printed circuit board, the solder connections there often break with plugs being yanked this way & that, another place to look for trouble if your problem persists after addressing the line level jack field.
        Last edited by Leo_Gnardo; 03-01-2017, 01:35 PM.
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Ok. Great! I didn't understand what was meant at first by "power amp in switching jacks". I didn't realize that the signal passed through those jacks on the front of the unit. I'll check them out and hopefully that's all it is! Thanks for clarifying.

Greg

Comment

The jack looks like this internally.
            IC4b goes through a Normally Closed contact, on to the power amplifier.
            You could run a small patch cable from GEQ Out to Pwr Amp In to prove out the jacks.

3116P 3118P Pwr Amp Input.pdf
            Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 03-01-2017, 02:47 PM.

Comment

The jack looks like this internally.
              IC4b goes through a Normally Closed contact, on to the power amplifier.
              You could run a small patch cable from GEQ Out to Pwr Amp In to prove out the jacks.
              Thanks. I'll try that.

Comment

Working...
              X