Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! 2 HB with p/p pots for coil cut each, + DPDT each choose which coil is cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! 2 HB with p/p pots for coil cut each, + DPDT each choose which coil is cut

Hi guys, appreciate any help in advance. I can't get my head around this yet, but a customer wants 2 HB with p/p pots for coil cut each, then additional DPDT for each pup to choose/switch which coil is cut. SO he can have either north or south of each pup on or off.

Thanks in advance :-)

Julyan.

Welcome to the forum.

You can do it with just the mini-toggle switches (on/off/on), one for each pickup. Centre gives you humbucking, either side kills one coil or the other. For an explanation see the section 'SPDT centre off switch' here;

Guitar Wiring Site - Coil Cut Switching

Comment

Thanks Mick, but we have made a guitar and its been sprayed up and the holes are drilled. Basically, 2 hb's to 3 way switch with a push/push volume each. Adding mini switches to choose which coil to cut. Cheers :-)

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
      Welcome to the forum.

You can do it with just the mini-toggle switches (on/off/on), one for each pickup. Centre gives you humbucking, either side kills one coil or the other. For an explanation see the section 'SPDT centre off switch' here;

Guitar Wiring Site - Coil Cut Switching

Comment

No more holes to drill if you're already intending to install mini switches anyhow. Just that you don't need the pot switching unless you assigned this to (say) phase switching. If you did it this way you have a few more tonal variations - wire the DPDT pot switches as phase switches, then use the mini toggle as a regular coil tap switch to ground the coil junction (one for each HB).

So, in non-coil tap mode the pot switch operates as a regular phase switch, but in coil tap mode the phase switch selects which coil is active.
        Last edited by Mick Bailey; 04-06-2017, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Cheers Mick. I am going to pursued him to either do that or just regular 500k pots and use the 3 way mini switches option in your first reply. Thanks again really appreciate it. Jules.

Comment

The bridge humbucker in my HSS Kramer splits this way - it works perfectly.

Comment

Working...
            X