Modifying Elation ADJ DMX Controller Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying Elation ADJ DMX Controller Pro

I needed a simple switching rig for the band. I wanted Blackout, Chase 1, Chase 2, and Audio

Basically the idea is to parallel the switches on the unit. Connect an Ethernet cable (8 leads for 4 switches) to a small switchbox made of 4 momentary switches.

I don't have a schematic so I just soldered the connectors from the Ethnet plug to the switches. It works, but I notice some things do not. I cannot go into program mode and chase 3-6 do not work. If I remove the connection of Chase 2 then the chase scenes work. I also notice with the switches paralleled, that the "program" function no longer works and the leds for the fixtures on the L side seem to correspond to momentary switches on the external box.

My thought is there must be some kind of logic issue adding these in parallel. I didn't use any resistors or diodes.

ADJ won't send me a print. lol

The rig works as it should so long as I remove Chase 2. The fixture select leds coming on don't bother anything as in not changing the fixture control. I figure to do the 4 external momentary switches, it might be a simple rig than programming a midi pedalboard.

It seemed a simple way to DIY a controller for a couple Chase options, Blackout and Audio control. I bought the parts, box, 30' cat 5 cable and jacks for $35. Midi controllers are much more and a headache to program.

I'm wondering if I need some resistors or something added in series with the ext switches. There are no shorts and all switches have independent wires. I know this controller is common to a lot of brands and off brands.

I don't know the unit, nor do we have a schematic. Must MANY keyboards or control panel switch circuits are matrixed, and to prevent false paths each switch has a series diode. Look at the keyboard circuit of any synth. And a matrix does not short a hot pin to ground, it has rows and columns that are shunted together by each switch. So without further information, any chance you put all your switches to a common while the unit circuit does not common them?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      I don't know the unit, nor do we have a schematic. Must MANY keyboards or control panel switch circuits are matrixed, and to prevent false paths each switch has a series diode. Look at the keyboard circuit of any synth. And a matrix does not short a hot pin to ground, it has rows and columns that are shunted together by each switch. So without further information, any chance you put all your switches to a common while the unit circuit does not common them?
      I kind of assumed that. Some of the switches do look to have a common line. I suppose the next thing to try is to remove the units switches I want to add to my break out box controller and solder those lines directly in place.

Originally I had several chases and blackout wired up. Doing that disabled the chase selections. If I add one switch in parallel to the Chase Sw then it works. More than one ..nope. Blackout seems to be isolated and not connected to other switches, same for Audio. Audio and Auto are tied together, so there I have the same problem as with the Chase switches paralleled.

Actually I was surprised this idea worked at all. Used it at a show last weekend and it was cool to have control of the unit from a different zone. Worse case, If I need to change program I just disconnect the Cat 5 cable.

Just concerned more about any long term damage. I know it's low voltage. Just seems odd that paralleling a few switches could cause a problem. None of my ext switches are common to one another, but follow any common to the unit switches where common.

I even thought about the box itself since it has a metal top, but there is no common or grounding to either leg of the switches on the break out box..

Thx

Comment

Did something similar with a CD player, once. The added cable length to the keyboard matrix, is causing the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by paleeman View Post
          Did something similar with a CD player, once. The added cable length to the keyboard matrix, is causing the issue.
          No, it did the same with a 1" jumper when I was testing things initially. So far it works, I just have to disable the ext box to enable program options. It actually works well in the show too. Vocalist can now control chase option, default scene, audio chase, and blackout.

Next step is to remove the unit's 4 switches I have paralleled and just add the wires from the Ethernet jack.

Comment

Working...
          X