Playing barefoot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
    I'm not weighing in on whether or not a person should use those cords. I will say that lots of people put new ends on broken power cords. I see amps come into the shop all the time that way. For the user/non-tech it's a better solution than taking apart the amp. They don't want to get into the guts of the thing, so they just chop off the end of the cord and put a new plug on it.
    I have found that this is the best replacement plug.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...-000/100011602

I have seen a few miswired or poorly wired plugs. I figure over time the replacement plugs will eventually fail. That's why I install new molded plugs/wire.

Comment

I have boxes of those exact plugs!
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by Axtman View Post
        I have found that this is the best replacement plug.
        https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...-000/100011602
        That plug is great for shop tools, etc., but would not look very professional as a permanent replacement on a guitar amp.

I figure over time the replacement plugs will eventually fail. That's why I install new molded plugs/wire.
        I agree about installing new cords with molded plugs. However I've had good luck with replacement plugs but I'm very OCD about things like that. I'll tin and curl the bare wires so that they don't squeeze out over time.

BTW as for IEC cords with strange colors I have no problem using them on my own gear but I wouldn't use them on other people's equipment for the reason that Mr. Dude mentioned...

QUICK POLL: Does anyone here have one of those expen$ive tools for removing and installing cord restraints? The last time I checked many years ago Mouser was selling them for around $40. I've always used vise grips which can leave marks on the plastic restraints.

I see that you can order one from China for $4.97 with free shipping. To heck with trade imbalances — I love the cheap shit from China!

https://www.ebay.com/i/130533763886

Watch "Heyco Strain Relief/Restraints Mounting/Removal Made Easy" on YouTube:

Steve A.
        Last edited by Steve A.; 11-17-2017, 11:26 AM.
        The Blue Guitar
        www.blueguitar.org
        Some recordings:
        https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
          Makes you wonder why they did not simply trash them.
          I think it's an artifact of the MBAs running the world. It used to be that a product that was dangerous was destroyed, and it's production cost was written off at a loss. Similarly, products that were seconds were marked as seconds and sold at a deep discount. That was then.

This is now: nothing gets marked as a second any more. Anything that is a second is discreetly sold to a liquidator, who sells it at a discounted price, often without a factory warranty. Nothing ever gets said about it being a second. The seller just hopes that the person buying the "second" doesn't notice that it's a second, or hopes that they may notice the problem after they take delivery but not care about it because the price was so low. In these scenarios they typically offer a no-questions-asked return policy for those people who are upset about receiving something that's obviously not a first-quality specimen.

It's happening everywhere. I recently bought brake parts from Raybestos for a very old classic American car. That car doesn't have a metric fitting anywhere on it, and all of the replacement parts for it are spec'd with SAE-spec fittings. Much to my surprise, the brake cylinders that were supposed to have SAE-spec bleeders according to the spec sheet had M10 bleeders on them. When I called the CS hotline to complain about a defect in materials/workmanship that made the part deviate from it's published specs, the guy on the other end of the phone said, "You bought those from RockAuto." Of course he knew that. When they received a shipment of off-spec parts from China they just blew them out to a discount reseller rather than rejecting them.

Gibson is doing the same thing with Memphis hollowbodies right now. Go buy them from CME. Gibson is blowing out truckloads of brand-new seconds without calling them seconds. The brand new seconds are being sold as "floor model" instruments with no warranty. The reality is that none of them have ever seen the demo floor, they're just defective in one way or another.
          "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Ah, the beauty of business regulating itself. Who do you propose step in Bob?
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
              Ah, the beauty of business regulating itself. Who do you propose step in Bob?
              Educated consumers.

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
                Educated consumers.
                Snooort.
                DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

This is the tool I use. I am not sure where I got it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6042.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	539.3 KB
ID:	847761

That said, I found a place where you can buy one.

http://www.proskit.com/crimpers/spec...relief-crimper

Comment

Yes, these work. They are not near what the actual hayco tool is, but if you're not in production, they do the job.
                    I imagine in production the robots do it now anyway.
                    I use the cheap one too, but the 'official' tool is much more heavy duty with a gear type action. And price to match.
                    https://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...XO%2Fr3w%3D%3D
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

One of the last places I worked had the Hayco tool. They work great. I just can't justify the cost vs how often I need one.

Comment

Vice grips or channel locks with a rubber strip (to prevent chewing) will do the trick too.

Comment

i use latex tubing on mine.

Comment

I also use latex tubing on mine.
                            Better safe than sorry.
                            ..... oh, sorry ...... you were talking about *shop* tools?
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I gave Bob a like for throwing a perfect strike and Juan one for knocking it out of the park.

Comment

I was waiting for someone to swing at that one.

Comment

Working...
                                X