Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mackie 808M monitor output

Hi everyone,
    I have an older Mackie 808M powered head. It's been stored for quite a while, but we took it out and used it at a gig yesterday. It worked fine except for two things.
    1. No monitor output. After playing with it a bit, I saw that it has signal showing up on the LEDs. And if I popped the microphone with my hand to get a peaking signal, that was audible in the monitor speakers. Both speaker output jacks behave the same way (tried it with different speakers as well). I'm wondering if it might just be a little corrosion on an internal spade connector or something. I have disassembled it, it looks clean but I'm going to just re-seat the cabling inside to the speakers. Is there anything else I should look for? By the way, we got through the gig by using the monitor line out and just ran that to another amp.

2. One of the channels is showing a peaking signal, and there's nothing plugged into that jack (all controls turned to zero). It's as if it's being overloaded but there's no signal there. I noticed it started doing it intermittently, and then eventually it stayed on constantly. I don't need that channel at the moment, but I hate to just throw in the towel if there's an easy fix. Also I worry that it might somehow damage other components.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

So you have the power amp assign switch set to main/monitor?
    Try a patch cord between mon.line out and R. power amp in. Any luck?
    If not, set the amp assign switch to main L&R and see if the R power amp is working.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Yes, running in the main/mon mode. Had not thought about trying that (and didn't realize it would even work that way). I'll do that as soon as I get a chance.
      Thanks.

Comment

So, after cleaning and re-seating things, everything seems to be working okay. I think it might have actually been a problem with the amp selector switch - maybe just needed to be exercised a little bit.

Comment

Also give the power amp in jacks some exercise (or a shot of cleaner) as they are routing the signal to the power amps via their switching contacts.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thanks g1. Yeah, I've cleaned everything up pretty well, and exercised everything that moves. Good point about the contacts on the jacks. Everything seems to be working now, but I'll definitely continue to give all the moving parts plenty of use as we start playing out with this amp.

Comment

Working...
            X