Tascam M-50, worth fixing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tascam M-50, worth fixing?

I have a Tascam M-50 that I'd like to sell. My local pro-audio shop tried to test it, but it won't power up. Is it worth taking to someplace like Alex Audio in Crystal,MN, and having them fix it? Or do I pop it as a repairable? I have very little into it so far.
    Tx!

As a technician, the symptom of dead, no sign of life, is usually pretty simple to solve. Worst case is bad power transformer, which is least likely. In other words, most any competent repair shop could probably get it going.

Without looking it up somewhere, what is an M-50?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

It's a monster mixer. I've attached a picture of it. I've seen one for sale on the 'net for $800, and there's one listed in a store on ebay for the same price, but that's neither here nor there if they don't sell. If the thing's only worth a couple beans, I don't feel like lugging it around and spending time/money on it. I'm not lazy, just too busy...
      Attached Files

Comment

I was wrong . The unit does power up, but there's no signal coming through. So does that change anything? I've listed it on eBay titled "Tascam Monster Mixer M-50, needs work". Thanks for looking!

Comment

Oh, not necessarily. DO NONE of the outputs produce ANY sound? All masters, all aux sends, all anything coming out? DO any of the individual channel peak lights work. DO any function indicator lights work?

If the thing lights up but still seems massively non-fuctional, I'd still think power supply trouble. Take the bottom off or otherwise access the innards and see if there is a loose connector or a blown fuse.

I don't have the schematic on this model, but as a service center I can get it easy enough.

If anything works, what?

Looks like a 12x8 recording mixer. Looks like the phones can monitor a selection of things. Feed a channel a signal, pot up the sends and see if the phones make any sounds.

If all 8 output channels are dead, but the input channel function, then I'd look still for power supply to that region or possibly a stuck mute line.

it still doesn't sound like a major deal to me, at least looking from here. The whole system is dead, which is still better than a lot of individual things wrong with all the channels.

Assuming we fix teh major problem, when it worked, how clean were the controls?
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
          X