being over charged!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• being over charged!

How the hell do shop's get off ripping people off for spaire parts!

roughly two mounth's ago I needed some 6v6 valves for a fender deluxe reverb mk2 amp and so I went to sound-CON-TROL.glasgow(england).
    the tech guy was saying we need to open up the filter cap and refill it!
    and to top it all off the cost would be £30 labour plus £75 for the valve's....

when I said to him I service audio equipment and I'v never seen that done in a work shop! and has for the valves they only cost £30 for the pair.
    his reply was we've got over head's......

I rest my case look out for this shop and there over priced part's.

his reply was we've got over head's......
    ...and it sounds like its up his...

Comment

Refill a filter cap, eh? Retaining vintage value of old caps by replacing electrolytic? What a dipstick.

Comment

i get the same thing if i take my mower to the shop when i'm too busy to work on the carb. i overheard the old service manager telling the younger guy, "Even though we only need a half hour of time, just put an hour's labor on everything."
        "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

I've actually just read somewhere on an antique radio site that some people refill/rebuild caps, but not like you think. They take the shell of old caps and put new caps inside them, then refill them with wax. Doing this lets the caps look correct but have reliable modern components inside doing the heavy lifting, and they keep the guts of their 75 year old radios looking correct even under close inspection. Could he have meant that?
          My Momma always said, Stultus est sicut stultus facit

Comment

What do you expect from Sound Control? They are a huge chain store geared to shifting boxes, like Guitar Center in the US. They probably stock Groove Tubes which have already been marked up a few times, and then apply their own markup on top of that.

BTW, since when was Glasgow in England?!
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by amptech View Post
              the tech guy was saying we need to open up the filter cap and refill it!

You made my day with this,M8!
              (....and I thought I heard them all...)
              Originally posted by amptech View Post
              his reply was we've got over head's.
              You don't say?!?
              I just hope you returned him one of those "very superior smiles/grins" meaning more than a thousand words!
              Regards,

Comment

Working...
              X