Where to buy 1:1 transformers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy 1:1 transformers?

I have a client that wants to replace his 1:1 traformers in his passive direct boxes. Anyone have good source for these. Thx for the links from my last search for Inductors.

Talk to someone who makes direct boxes. Like Horizon/Rapco or someone.

Is this customer wanting to replace defective ones? Or is he looking for some sort of "upgrade?" In which case look for a Jensen distributor for starts.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yes, hes using Horizon, but if he wants to replace all the xfrms I can assume he must not be too happy with the product as it stands, I'd like to have an upgrade option available to offer also.

Comment

There is that assume word....

I'd find out just what he has in mind. Are they defective now? Does he have real performance issues? Or did he hear on the internet somewhere that they are not good and he wants good ones?

And the cosmic question, why do we want to put labor and expensive upscale transformers into $40 direct boxes? WHy not just get better boxes? Not trying to talk you out of a repair, just trying to anticipate the needs of the customer.

Sometimes what they ask for is not what they need.

In the spirit of the OP though, I'd price Jensens and find out what some other brand direct boxes use and ask will they source them for you.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

And if the application is direct boxes I'm wondering why 1:1 ratio, which is usually more of an isolation transformer use...

Comment

Well there is a good point. I had assumed for discussion - that assume word again - that he was just calling them that, but that they were the common hi Z low Z type.

Comment

Enzo you assumed correctly. Not 1:1 but standard direct box fodder. So i can go with Horizon replacements. But my client's personal tech states all his tranformers are bad. I'll have to take his word on that one. So it leaves me to wonder if theres a replacement thats a little more durable out there.

Comment

I am always suspicious when ALL of something are bad. SOmetimes ONE person mis-using or mis-understanding them is more likely than ALL of them being faulty. Of course they could indeed be bad.

WHy not ask for a bad one for diagnostic purposes. Say you want to check the mounting dimensions or something. Then find out just what is wrong with them all.

Or just ask him - WHAT is wrong with them? Open primary? Open secondary? Shorts to frame or between windings?

Are these riveted shut, and if so have they been opened? If not how can we tell the difference between an open winding and a wire off?

Is he expecting phantom to work with the ground lifted?

Bottom line is, if we want a transformer that is "more durable," we need to know what about the thing is weak and how it failed. If you get one that handles higher voltage or something, but the failure was wires breaking off, then we didn't relly get a more durable item, we upped a spec that was not involved.

You have to know what the problem IS before you can solve it.

Comment

could be used incorrectly with regard to the impedances, loading (which make a difference in the freq. response, as I understand). Also, the size of the transformers. Core volume leading to losing low end when overloaded--something like that. Example, I was messing around with this cheap telecom transfomer. Had some data someone else took from it, and apparently it's not bad in freq. response and needs a termination R on the secondary and okay for a mic signal (weak signal). Slight voltage gain, seems to work okay (no noticable "cheapness"--high end rolloff or weird audio).

Comment

Working...
                  X