JBL MP225 crossover bulbs ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JBL MP225 crossover bulbs ?

Does anyone know if the bulbs on a JBL MP225 2x15 PA cab crossover are available from JBL or somewhere else . Jbl has the whole crossover assm. for $44.75 . Thank's for the help .

I don't know that crossover myself, so did you inspect the bulb? COUld it be an automotive bulb? Are there voltage ratings stamped on the base? Or are these the glass cylinder type that look like oversize fuses?

You can always call JBL and ask.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

They are not just automotive bulbs. They are High Positive Current Coeficcient Resistors (HPCCR's). In otherwords, they are light bulbs that react in a linear fashion when current is applied to them. Automotive bulbs react in a highly non-linear fashion when different levels of current are applied and are not suitable for speaker crossover protection.

Sylvania makes the HPCCR's. JBL should be able to sell you just a replacement bulb kit (you may need to call a factory rep directly, your local service center will likely want to sell you the more expensive crossover).

There are many different varieties of these bulbs available to work at different current & voltage ratings so make sure you get the correct ones. Most of the bulbs I have seen do not have printing on them. Most will have a colored dot on them somewhere (green, red, blue, etc.) and that deontes the rating for that bulb.

If you can find the colored dot on them you can call another Loudspeaker company and have them send them to you if JBL will not (just tell them the dot color & how many you need). I know Community Professional Loudspeakers has a few different varieties of these bulbs available as replacement parts in kits of 3-4 bulbs each. Call them @ 610 876-3400.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        I don't know that crossover myself, so did you inspect the bulb? COUld it be an automotive bulb? Are there voltage ratings stamped on the base? Or are these the glass cylinder type that look like oversize fuses?

You can always call JBL and ask.
        Yes they are glass cylinder type about twice fuse size and they solder in. No markings of any kind . I will probably call JBL . Thank's Enzo.

Comment

Originally posted by cbarrow7625 View Post
          They are not just automotive bulbs. They are High Positive Current Coeficcient Resistors (HPCCR's). In otherwords, they are light bulbs that react in a linear fashion when current is applied to them. Automotive bulbs react in a highly non-linear fashion when different levels of current are applied and are not suitable for speaker crossover protection.

Sylvania makes the HPCCR's. JBL should be able to sell you just a replacement bulb kit (you may need to call a factory rep directly, your local service center will likely want to sell you the more expensive crossover).

There are many different varieties of these bulbs available to work at different current & voltage ratings so make sure you get the correct ones. Most of the bulbs I have seen do not have printing on them. Most will have a colored dot on them somewhere (green, red, blue, etc.) and that deontes the rating for that bulb.

If you can find the colored dot on them you can call another Loudspeaker company and have them send them to you if JBL will not (just tell them the dot color & how many you need). I know Community Professional Loudspeakers has a few different varieties of these bulbs available as replacement parts in kits of 3-4 bulbs each. Call them @ 610 876-3400.
          Thank's for the info ! I will inspect one of the bulbs closely for a color dot . Jbl had a schematic of the crosssover but no parts list with part numbers.
          Bruce .

Comment

Oh, I know those things, now that we mention it. If you just tell them you need crossover bulbs for such and such model and ident the color dot, they should know what you need.

The reason I mentioned automotive bulbs is that quite a few speakers use them as protective devices.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
            X