Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fancy instrument-interface, tilt sensor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fancy instrument-interface, tilt sensor.

Hi there!

I have to confess that I'm utterly green on electronics. I have a vague understanding of how things works, but not enough to do anything myself.

I'm trying to built an interface that allows me to modify sound/create music by using a tilt-device. The "modify sound/create music"-part I'll take on another forum, as that is more a programming thing when I'm able to get the rest done. What I want is a tilt-sensor wired so that it sends a signal out, preferably by an usb-connection, or some other suitable computerinterface.

Anyone here who can give some advice? I don't need you to tell me step-by-step what to do (of course, if you feel like it, go ahead), but rather something like "read up on that and that, and ask again when you have done that".

Any help appriciated!

You need to set up your basic parameters for this tilt device before you can proceed. How many "poles" or directions will it move to change the sounds? Up, Down, Right, Left, Forward, Back? Can a basic joystick do what you want? Or are you talking about a hand-held free controller like a Wii thingie?

Comment

i got two solutions for the controller and it gives me an idea any way idea1 for single axis or possibly multiple mercury switches or if availible a non toxic merc switch substitute i played around with a few of these(the toxic variety) to keep what amounts to a home made vibration meter level but they could eisily be reversed and hookedup sequentially to resistors to control a function by tilt option b which is more versitale and safer is a harmonograph type assembly to see what one is google it it could be upsised or miniturised and connected to pots via cables like in the ernie ball volume pedals this could be madce with multiple axises (i know wrong plural form deal) a large one could be set near drums maybe and would move when vibrated thus changing this could be alot of fun with like say a flanger option three is a proximity sensor type desighn but hey thats already been done

Comment

Yeah, what sort of parameters here?

How will it be tilted? You want to bolt it onto something that will already be moving, or do you want to hand-control motion?

Is it for live sound production or is it for processing already recorded stuff?

Look into the Korg Kaos pads for a two dimentional touch input.

And I forget the model, but ALesis had this thing marketed mainly to the DJ crowd that you waved your hand over and it gave 3-D control.

Perhaps more about exactly what you want to do.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks for the quick answers everyone.

To clarify my idea I intend to tape those tilt-sensors onto a dancer, and then route them into reaktor or max/msp. The basic idea is then if the dancer holds the sensor flat the synth will produce one kind of tone, and if the dancer holds the sensor tilted, it will produce another kind of tone. I'll figure out how to get those thing fastened on a dancer, and how many of them later, but I'm guessing I would need maybe 5 of them. If it's possible to make the thing wireless I'll look into that to, but for the moment I'm concentrating on just getting a prototype to work.

I think a sensor that recognize wheter it's flat or tilted is enough, so I guess that would make it single axed. I've looked into some mercury tilt-sensors on ebay, are I right in assuming I need some of those?

Comment

Instead of ebay, why not look at a place like Mouser? Go to Mouser and enter "tilt sensor" into their search window, and you will get numerous options. You can link to data sheets on each selection if you like.

The problem as I see it with these things on a dancer is getting the rest position. You'd have to attach it just so it was vertical, and also expect the dancer to remain in that position or at least make all motions relative to it. Like balancing a book on your head.

But that is a tilt sensor. There are also motion sensors. These can be relatively simple or very complex, such as laser accelerometers. ANd there is the Wii game, look into what they use.

If you want to detect motion of a dancer, would they remain in a spot or are you thinking some kid on a dance floor? You want to detect motion, but it is not necessary that the sensor be ON the dancer. A matrix of light beams and sensors would work as when someone broke a beam it sensed them. COnsider options like that.

Or here is one: make them dance under bright lights. Now mount some photocells on them, but have loose flaps of opaque fabric over the cell. Their motion would cause the flaps to flap up and down so the cells would be covered and uncoverd as they moved. The overhead lights shining on the cells would be blocked sometimes and not others. Up to you how to encode the things into useful data.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Check out MEMS accelerometers. They are very cheap now, since they're used in hard drives and the Wiimote. They sense tilt by detecting the "acceleration" due to gravity.

In fact, why not just strap said Wiimote, or the guts of one, to your performer? I've seen software that lets you read out the acceleration signals from one on a PC via Bluetooth. Or maybe it was a Mac or Linux, I forget. Either way, most of the work is done for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_homebrew#Wii_Remote
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiij
              "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

I'll check out the wiimote. Part of the idea was to have the dancer to "hold" the sensors flat. I'm of thinking of modern dance, solo. Anyhow, I'll check out the wiimote and come back and ask if I wonder about more. Thanks for all the replies!

Comment

I saw the Johnny Chung Lee headtracking thing with the Wiimote on Digg about a month ago, it's at the bottom of the wiiwiki link Steve posted:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/

I was impressed. He used a pair of glasses with a couple of I.R. LEDs...

Very clever.

S.

Comment

I've checked out the wiimote, and it seems that it will do all I want it to do, and the bluetooth is just genius. I ordered one yesterday. Thanks for the tips everyone!

Comment

Working...
                    X