Peavey XR1200 Power Mixer IC's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey XR1200 Power Mixer IC's?

I'm looking for some cross reference info for the 15v Dual polarity voltage regulator found on the CS400 driver boards. The part is marked NE5554N, does anybody have a clue what will work off the shelf?
    Last edited by tboy; 01-26-2008, 06:12 AM.
    :eek: cmikolaj

Welcome from Lansing.

That is not a voltage regulator, it is the input IC for the card. it is just a plain old 5534 - a single op amp related to the 5532 dual op amp. The 5534 is a low noise type, but some of the CS series drivers also used the TL071.

Also should work is the LF355, or even a 741 if you have one.

The 5534 is an NE5534 or an NJM5534, perhaps not having those letters got in the way of crossing it for you.

Peavey will send you schematics if you call the parts department. Have your serial number since there were versions of this amp. I see 5534 in the C series, while the earlier A and B series show the TL071. The ICs should be interchangeable. For that matter they will sell you the IC.

Assuming you want the DIP-8 package, Mouser sells them for about 50 cents.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Nice catch, Thanks Enzo!

I have a few dual op-amp flavors laying around and some are high quality audio. I do some spec checking later tonight when I get home form my son's birthday party.

While I have your attention, I changed out the SJ6357's and SJ6344's with MJ15011's, because they were free and available...they seem to work just fine. Do you see a problem with this?

Comment

You cannot use the dual op amps in place of the single, the pinout is different.

MJ15011? You might get away with that since PV amps tend to be pretty conservative. But the 15011 is a 10 amp part while the 6357 is an MJ15003 which is a 20 amp part. The 6344 is a MJ13330 which is also a 20 amp part.

Look up the data sheets for SOA data.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Sorry Enzo I meant to say op-amp, but I was on my way out the door.

Any way I tried out a couple of TL071 and they sound pretty darn good. I might try a few others flavors down the road to see if there are any noticeable improvements, but for now she’s fine.

As for the MJ15011, I very rarely push the amp hard because it is used primarily used for the drum PA and Monitors.

Lets say I were to change to a 20 amp transistor, besides the MJ15003’s, MJ15024’s and the MJ13330’s are there any other suitable 20 amp replacements you can think of , let’s say in the 2nxxx arena?

Thanks again!

Comment

You DO NOT want to mix types on a high power amp like that. There is for each channel a row of transistors on the positive side and a row in the negative side. All the transistors in a row should be the same type. The positive row can be different from the negative row. For example you could have a row of 2SD424 on the pos and MJ15025 on the neg. But don't mismatch within a row.

The SJ6357 ARE MJ15003, so mixing those in is no problem. But if you stuck a 2N3772 on there, it would not likely share current nor track thermally with the others. Not to mention the 3772 is only an 80v part. That is the main reason to never use NTE, never mind they cost several times as much.

I don't know offhand any high current high voltage 2N types - ones over 100v. But when MJ15024 or MJ15003 are only about $4 each, why screw around? In fact in my shop I am most likey to sub a MJ15003 or a MJ15024 into something in place of the original part. Very UNlikely I would be looking to sub something in their place.

Now I am old school. The newer MJ21194 is sort of taking the place of the 15024, but the 15xxx series is alive and well and not going away soon.

Allied sells the MJ series at good prices. It is the one area they beat Mouser in consistently.

Comment

Working...
            X