Tascam CD-GT2 Adapter or Power Supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tascam CD-GT2 Adapter or Power Supply

This is a simple (or stupid) question for some, but I'm not sure what the answer is. I have a Tascam CD-GT2 trainer, where you put four AA batteries in it and it plays CDs. You can then plug your guitar and play with the music and slow the CD down to help learn a song.

I can buy an over priced (in my opinion) adapter from Tascam, or is there one I might already own that will work? It says it should be a 5 V DC adapter and I can tell from the description it needs to be positively tipped. The device shows
    - ( for the outside of the plug and dot with a line to a plus sign. It also says in the booklet that it consumes 4 Watts when not on batteries.

What current would I need from the adapter? My old electronics book says that P = E X I so if power is 4 watts and the voltage is 5 volts than I need about 0.8 amps or 800 milliamp. Is that correct? How close would it have to be?

I found this one at All electronics. It says in the title it is 5 VDC and 3.7 A, but in the description it says it is a 500 mA. I'm confused. Maybe trying to save $20 isn't worth it? Oh, and it also is a center positive plug of the right size.

I also have a 4.5 V, 6 W, 500 mA output adapter laying around from an old CD player that is long broken. Might that work?

Go ahead, expose my ignorance. It should be easy. Mostly, I'm trying to use this as an excuse to be cheap and to try to learn too. Oh and the plug is center negative, so I'd have to cut the cord and reconnect it reversing the leads, which thankfully are marked with a skunk stripe on one side of the black cord.

Color me .
    Functional Dishwasher
    As I'm the only working dishwasher in my house
    '94 MIJ Black Stratocaster named 'Earl'
    7/95 Fender Blues Deluxe
    '75 Fender VibroChamp

Says it puts out 3.75A at 5v. The only place I see 500ma is the 0.5A it draws from the mains.

SO it puts out about 19 watts. The draw from the mains is at most 500ma. That represents 60 watts at 120v, meaning about 33% efficiency. I suspect it only draws the 500ma when first powr is applied and the caps must charge.

it ought to serve your needs.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      it ought to serve your needs.
      Thank you Enzo!
      Functional Dishwasher
      As I'm the only working dishwasher in my house
      '94 MIJ Black Stratocaster named 'Earl'
      7/95 Fender Blues Deluxe
      '75 Fender VibroChamp

Comment

Working...
      X