Car AMP 400 watt in the house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car AMP 400 watt in the house?

Hi, my car amp is 400watt and i'd like to hook it up inside the house (don't ask why) lol.

so I need 12V DC from my 120V AC (and what 30amps?)

how would I go about doing that (ac/dc pwr supply?)

thanks folks

You would need to purchase a 12VDC power supply. MCM has two switch-mode units available for a decent price:

#72-8115 25A $109.00

#72-8116 40A $159.00
    John R. Frondelli
    dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

wow thanks for the quick reply.

I thought thats what I needed but wasn't sure..

so with my 400 watt amp, would the 25A Switch Mode Power Supply suffice?

400 watt is peak vs 13.8v X 25a = 345watt is average?

i'm just worried that it won't be enough to power it... but too cheap to get the bigger one!

Comment

If you're cheap, why not try an old PC power supply. They have a 12V output.

As for your worries, I wouldn't worry too much, car amps are famous for being overrated. It probably only makes about 40w, unless it's one of the $500 competition grade units, then it might make 100
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
          If you're cheap, why not try an old PC power supply. They have a 12V output.

As for your worries, I wouldn't worry too much, car amps are famous for being overrated. It probably only makes about 40w, unless it's one of the $500 competition grade units, then it might make 100
          hey great thinking!

and p.s. it ain't no competition grade amp lol

its a budget overstocked amp from the no refund bin haha

Comment

Um, I didn't think the average computer power supply could provide 30-40 amps on the 12v output.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

You're right, they usually top out around 18A, and that's for the newer ATX type with the separate 4-pin connector for 12V.

But I really don't think the amp will need that much power. I've dismantled a couple of these low-cost car amps, and they don't look like they could punch their way out of a paper bag.

The worst that can happen is that the power supply shuts down or dies, in which case you know you needed a bigger one anyway

Of course if you have one of these...
              http://www.jbl.com/car/products/prod...CheckProduct=Y
              ignore everything I said and borrow a battery from a diesel locomotive. JBL say that the 6kW version can draw 800A, and I believe it.
              Last edited by Steve Conner; 05-27-2008, 10:05 AM.
              "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

thats what i'm using right now actually and my gf is annoyed with a big battery sitting on the living room floor lol

Comment

size the tranny and the bridge for your rail current needs and away you go.

the 4502 will hold up to 30a.

Comment

Working...
                  X