Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker replacement

Hi,

I have a Polytone mini Brute with a torn 8" speaker. Does anyone suggestions for replacing this, considering I bought the amp for it clean jazz sound. Any brands or type I should avoid?

Cheers,

Joris

Hmmm, Eminence Beta 8?

Or contact Polytone to find out if there's a recone kit. This thread suggests the speaker was made by EV, and if this is true, it would be worth reconing.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/archiv.../t-214245.html
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Polytone

Thanks Steve for answering. And for finding that threat on a similar problem.
      I don't know the first thing about electronics and speakers. I just use amps and have a hard time understanding all the lingo in this community. Does your answer imply that en EV is something so good it should be repaired?
      I have heard of Eminence, also about Selestion. I will try to get in touch with Polytone. Word has it that they are not the accessible type, but I can try anyway.

Comment

If it is a cast-frame driver (E-V), you can recone it. If it is stamped-frame, it's probably an Eminence or perhaps even pre-Eminence CTS, and is nothing special, and can easily be replaced with a new Eminence driver.
        John R. Frondelli
        dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Thanks John, I was just checking availability of Eminence speakers in the Netherlands. No problem and at a good price. I'll check the make of the old one when I get home.

Comment

I'd really recommend the Weber speakers, webervst.com. They're really quite good, although mine took forever to loosen up. I had a really nice 12" full range with a whizzer cone for my harp amp, and the guitarist put his foot through it after drinking with vikings. Terrible. I ordered one of the alnico signature series and the power handling is underrated, the tone is very good, and the price is right! I did have to break it in a bit, but it sounds great! I just swapped *out* my actual vintage ('59) Jensen P12Q for it, because the tone was similar enough and the power handling was much better. If these are supposed to be the inexpensive Weber alnicos, I think I'm hooked.

Comment

Beta 8"

Hi All,

I've ordered the Eminence Beta 8", and iThe old Polytone was not a cast-frame. It fitted like a clove. Sound is wonderful. Thanks for your help and advice!

Joris

Comment

Working...
              X