Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.K. Vintage Radio Forum - does this look familiar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.K. Vintage Radio Forum - does this look familiar?

Howdy Folks,

Attached is the link to the U.K. Vintage Radio and Restoration Discussion Group - lotsa great information but for some reason that I just can't quite put my finger on it seems familiar? Anyone have an idea?

Rob

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Yep, we are not...gasp... the only forum using vBulletin software.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The Gear Page also!

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/tgphome.php

FWIW, I really liked the old ampage framework. It was simple and ergonomically well thought out. well, here's to the folks in R & D, working hard to make things as good as they used to be!

Comment

I wasn't so thrilled with the old one. If I tried backing up from a post window it would forget where it was and blank my post. People would respond to some post in the middle so then new posts would appear in mid stream rather than at the end, making it a lot harder to just read what has been added instead of scanning the whole thread to see what was new.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Hmmm, after about 11 years hanging around "here" I'm sorta mixed on what I like better - basically cuz my memory is so bad that I've grown accustomed to the Forum. But I remember Ampage being more "intuitive" with a shorter learning curve. If I'm correct Steve (Tboy) wrote some of most of the code for the old system and had to spend too much of his time updating it as internet protocols changed. Since he's provided such a great service for us with both anything that eases his burden I'm in favor of.

One thing though that I don't care for is while we do have more categories - which may be a good thing in a way - there seems to be less "cross fertilization" between users of particular categories and I feel "cut off" from some folks whose contributions I'd come to value. And, since new users seem to either not understand the categories or simply ignore them (both I think) I'm not sure that they accomplish their intended purpose (and since I suggested a new category that was adopted on the old board I'm guilty of contributing to this). I do agree with Enzo about losing composed posts and I to prevent losing them I used to compose them in Word first and then try to post them - the if it was lost in posting I'd just copy and paste again. A "work around" that worked. Now, instead, there's an occasional "stutter" where the post gets repeated. A swing from one extreme to the other <grin>.

No matter what still the best no bullshit, no ego trip, non commercial (one other forum that I contribute to with the initials AA is dominated with folks selling something) community I've found on the net. And we're trusted here - the UK site won't post a contribution until it's vetted by a moderator. Thanks again Steve!

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            I wasn't so thrilled with the old one. If I tried backing up from a post window it would forget where it was and blank my post. People would respond to some post in the middle so then new posts would appear in mid stream rather than at the end, making it a lot harder to just read what has been added instead of scanning the whole thread to see what was new.
            I didn't say there weren't ...ah...quirks.

"But other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

Comment

Working...
            X