Sunn Spectrum 1 with a rising B+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunn Spectrum 1 with a rising B+

I need to start off this posting with this statement: "THIS AMP CURRENTLY WORKS".

I'm refurbushing a Sunn Spectrum 1,( recap, new cord, I/O wiring and like that, nothing really over the top.) This amp is basically a Dynaco MKIV. I'm shooting a YouTube series on this and I'm in the final episode where I set the bias and then noodle out some riffs on my guitar as proof it works, tie things up and roll credits. 1 problem however when I first biased the amp the B+ measured 470VDC. The second time I fired it up the B+ was 575VDC. The third time I fired it up the B+ was 660VDC. All these startups and shutdowns are just a result of shooting video and staging shots.

It has a 5AR4 rectifier and I thought I would look for some advise here as to what might be up with this. I'm a little gun shy about firing it up again and seeing an even higher B+.

Oh yeah, It's on a variac, dummy load, no signal.
    ... That's $1.00 for the chalk mark and $49,999.00 for knowing where to put it!

OK, it works, right? Get it off the variac, eliminate the potential problem. Any change?

WHen you measure your B+, measure the HV AC from the transformer too. And if you don't have a mains monitor, check the mains voltage every time too.

And check the battery in your meter.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

OK, the amp directly on the mains, the rectifier pulled and I'm measuring the power transformer output... 815VAC. Did my power transformer just go bye bye? The mains is 120VAC60Hz

I also swapped out meters just in case, same results from all.
      Last edited by Sowhat; 06-11-2020, 11:38 PM.

Comment

I never checked up till now but the replacement transformer is 400-0-400 output so 815VAC would not be too far from nominal, so, maybe my transformer is OK and maybe my rectifier is whacky?

Damn! I don't have a spare rectifier around here.

Comment

I assume that is center tapped? In which case roughly 400v on either side. With a rectifier tube, that ought to get you 500v and some.. Is it still changing by a hundred volts each time you measure?

The hotter teh tube is biased, the more it drags down the B+, but not by hundreds of volts.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

This is why I retired. Now I'm getting a steady 500 volts! Tried and measured it a couple time, no change. What the heck was all that about? It's just that I have never seen over 600 volts on these things and I got a little frightened. I was worried that the new 525V multi filter can was going to pop. I still can't see how that voltage could read that high and marched up incrementally and now everything is peachy. The only thing I did was take it off the variac, pull the 5AR4 and then put it back in... I hate that!

Comment

We ran into someone with like a 350vAC transformer and was reading almost 1000vDC and was all concerned the voltage "was that high". My reaction was that I CAN"T get 1000v from 350vAC and the problem is with my measuring equipment or procedure. Same for yours, I see no way for it to actually step up the voltage to something silly. And a 400v transformer does not generally have a failure mode of raising the voltage.

Comment

I'm not sure if this is OK on this forum but here's a link to my video playlist for this amp, I trying to document some of my work video style these days, just like the young-uns do.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...FQMxuKPzPm-yBP

Comment

You still have the emb remote wah? If so do you want to sell it? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X