re-201 space echo tape stops moving, capstan and pinch roller keep rolling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re-201 space echo tape stops moving, capstan and pinch roller keep rolling

Hi all, I have an re-201 with echofix tape in it, and the tape just keeps stopping, I think at the same spot on the tape. Its not the splice in the tape, it passes fine, but it will get stuck and the capstan and pinch roller keep spinning with the tape stuck. If I let it run for a while and keep kind of nudging it with my finger to get the tape to pass, eventually it will start moving fine, but it sure is a PITA to have to coax the thing back to life for 30 mts every time I take a break from it for a few days. Has anyone else had this issue with echofix tape? I recently had the bearings replaced by a guy in chicago that was recommended, and it was working great for a while, so that shouldn't be the issue. I have cleaned the tape path many times, there is no significant shed from the tape. Thanks for your time!

If the bearings were at issue it would stop turning. Not the issue.

SO it doesn't get stuck with the splice at the capstan. SO WHERE IS the splice when it gets stuck? If it gets snagged elsewhere it can dog the tape motion.

Look closely at the splice, is it coming apart even just a little corner? IS the splice tape not 100% smooth?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Another thing that says to me is that the pinch roller is no good. I don't see how the pinch roller can be turned by the capstan yet not move the tape. Unless the part in contact with the tape is dried out and hard.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

That's true, try pressing the pinch roller arm up against the capstan a little tighter to see if it moves the tape when stuck. If so, it agrees.You can feel the roller with your fingernail. Is it glassy and hard?

A new roller is maybe best, but you can often rejuvenate the rubber. Mineral spirits works well. So does gasoline, but well, the risk of fire suggests use something else.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Just fixed one of these with the same exact problem. Rejuvenating the pinch didn't work, but a new pinch roller did. I suppose it will depend on just how hard it is.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

The problem may be that there is a very slight depression in the rubber surface of the roller that matches the width of the tape, leaving a taller surface above and below the tape path that allows the roller to turn without moving the tape. Either replace or resurface the roller and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
            X