Digi-Key tarriff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digi-Key tarriff

I just put in a small order with Digi-key, and on top of shipping and taxes, they included an approx. 10% "tariff fee". It wasn't much, but still, why? It's a US based company, is it not?
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

I's a U.S.-based company but the source for the parts you requested is probably a country that, shall we say, doesn't exactly have our (or anyone else's for that matter) best interests anywhere on its list of priorities.

https://ustr.gov/issue-areas/enforce...tariff-actions

Comment

Randall, and any other DigiKey customers & potential customers ,DigiKey tells you what that fee is all about right h'yar:

https://www.digikey.com/en/blog/prot...tariff-effects

Last edited by Leo_Gnardo; 07-25-2020, 02:22 PM.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

President Trump slapped tariffs on CHina on many products. (And from some other countries too) He SAYS CHina is going to pay those, but that is not the case. WE pay the tariffs.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          President Trump slapped tariffs on CHina on many products. (And from some other countries too) He SAYS CHina is going to pay those, but that is not the case. WE pay the tariffs.
          But the funds are quickly "repurposed" to small business loans to profitable Fortune 500 Corporations or wealthy GOP donors... Its the CIRCLE OF LIFE!.

Comment

Whoa whoa whoa, I didn't mention that to turn it into TRump thread. Please let's not go there.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              Whoa whoa whoa, I didn't mention that to turn it into TRump thread. Please let's not go there.
              Duly noted and amended
              nosaj
              soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

more on topic my Mouser order from yesterday had no listed "TARIFF" just shipping and taxes

Comment

Maybe it only shows up if you have items from those certain countries.

Comment

I've noticed an increase in prices at CED lately, I wonder if it includes tariff fees, but they just aren't itemizing them like digi-key is? Same for Mouser. Example, I have been charging $40 for a pair of JJ 6L6GCs for years. After shipping, I made a modest profit, and was competitive with a walk in Guitar Center sale or an etail on line order. But with my last order, I realized after shipping I was now just about breaking even. Time to raise prices. But to be honest, when the tariffs were announced, I knew this would be the result.
                    Last edited by Randall; 07-26-2020, 04:17 AM.
                    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
                      I've noticed an increase in prices at CED lately, - - - - when the tariffs were announced, I knew this would be the result.
                      That right there. All tubes come from where? China, Russia, Slovakia. And other components, many if not most from China. Not much still USA made, so when the tariff war was started I also expected prices would rise. I can only guess different supply companies go about it different ways.

I haven't ordered much in the way of parts this year due to the covid crisis but now Randall you've spurred me into examining current prices at CE and other suppliers so I can set my prices accordingly from here on in.

FWIW I recall a similar price bump @ 20-25% in the very early 2000's when Dubya arranged a devaluation of the US dollar. No politics, just facts.

Comment

I just looked at this past month's invoices from Digi-Key, and while all of the parts ordered came from outside the US.....Taiwan, Malaysia, China, only those parts from China had Tarrif imposed. And, not exactly cheap. 10 pcs of power xstrs from China, total on them was $22.88, the Tariff on them was $2.29. Three item types on the invoice, total cost was $54.91, the Tariff was $5.50 while sales tax was $6.19, so the tariff was less than the sales tax, but, I hadn't noticed that until Randall brought this up.

I looked at a number of my Mouser, McMaster-Carr & Antique Electronic Supply invoices, and only on Mouser did I see the last line of each item on the invoice containing the Country of Origin detail (COO). I've only looked back to the beginning of 2020 in my invoices, and didn't see China listed on any of the COO lines at Mouser. Didn't see ANY COO references in the invoices from McMaster-Carr or Antique Electronic Supply.

Ah, well........what can you do? Only not buy parts made in China, when the only source for a needed item IS from China? Customer pays all costs of parts used, and now Tariff becomes an added cost.

I just looked at that one invoice I detailed above, and using the Sales Tax amount of $6.19, if I divide that by the total parts cost, it came to 11.3%, while dividing it by the total parts cost + the Tariff amount, now that total is $60.41, and the sales tax is 10.2%. It appears we're ALSO paying tax on the added Tariff...at least with Digi-Key orders. I haven't seen this on other invoices yet. And, I didn't see anything mentioned in Digi-Key's Tariff-effects link that Leo_Gnardo added.
                        Last edited by nevetslab; 08-01-2020, 08:05 PM.
                        Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
                          10 pcs of power xstrs from China, total on them was $22.88, the Tariff on them was $2.29. Three item types on the invoice, total cost was $54.91, the Tariff was $5.50
                          There ya go,MIC tariff is ten percent. Could be worse - wasn't his nibs huffing and puffing about 25% and even 50% tariffs within the last 18 months or so? Oh well, one more calculation when pricing parts on the repair invoice...

Comment

Unrelated to Tariffs, but, while looking for Asiago cheese at Trader Joe's recently, it seems like ALL cheese products have nearly doubled in price since the Pandemic. Wonder if that's due to so much of the diary products being dumped by the farmers since so many of the restaurants in the country have been shut down.
                            Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
                              Unrelated to Tariffs, but, while looking for Asiago cheese at Trader Joe's recently, it seems like ALL cheese products have nearly doubled in price since the Pandemic. Wonder if that's due to so much of the diary products being dumped by the farmers since so many of the restaurants in the country have been shut down.

Well in the oft stated (and almost always wrong) "Law of Supply and Demand" you might expect dairy prices to go down if there's a huge oversupply due to restaurants shutting down. Similarly this might be the best time to buy a new car because worldwide demand is at an all time low...

But NO the prices stay flat or even go up as our economy is so leveraged and hedged as to make the "real world" effect it not a whit!

PS did you see Trader Joes says it will NOT rename its "ethnic foods" subverting the headlong rush to make the commercial markets ultimately PC while addressing nothing real.

Comment

Working...
                              X