Bypass and Chassis Grounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bypass and Chassis Grounds

During my oscilloscope shopping - I ran across this video on bypass capacitors and ground planes. It's about 5x longer than it needs to be, but it's still worth watching.
    The prince and the count always insist on tubes being healthy before they're broken

Yeah!
    Dave is like Steve Irwin for electronics.
    He is great when it comes to explaining fundamentals.
    My hat is off to him for him taking the time.

Comment

I can watch Dave all day long. His product reviews are entertaining and I always learn something from watching him. He seems to have unlimited enthusiasm for electronics and puts an enormous amount of time into his videos.

Comment

I'm so old I learned this from RG Keen and Tom Balon on usenet. But it was really cool to see it in action. And props to him for building a test circuit that shows it well.

I remember on my first amp - I'd done the Fender style doghouse to hold the filter caps. Then had this explained to me, and the next iteration was to star ground everything. I ended up with this massive ball of wires radiating out from a ground lug that was such an effective heat radiator that the only thing that would melt the solder was a massive stained glass window soldering iron. Next came learning to keep bypasses local, and look for things that cancel out (if two triode stages are in series - their relative impact on B+ is inverted from each other too.) Bypass a push pull stage as a unit (at least for bulk decoupling caps). Still run a ground wire for heavy current stages and noise sensitive stages.
        The prince and the count always insist on tubes being healthy before they're broken

Comment

Working...
        X