No announcement yet.

Help with Symetrix 544 power transformer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After looking at your photos, and a picture of the rear end of the Symeterix 544 found on the internet, I think you've entered into the the task of building an external transformer box, moving the fuse and power switch into that box, removing the power cord from your chassis, and retasking that obround hole into one for a mating connector to receive the 3-wire secondary side of the external power transformer. Now your transformer selection is simple, I'll send you some photos of what I built for my Symetrix SX304 Headphone Amp, as I never did get the original wall wart for it. What I built is far more reliable anyway.
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

I brought in the power xfmr box I had made to power my Symetrix SX304 Headphone Amp. The rear panel of it uses a DIN 5-Pin Female connector, which could be made to fit in place of the ;power cord strain relief hole on your Symetrix 544 unit. On this unit, I didn't need to feed in the Center Tap, as all that was needed was 16VAC, if memory serves. I used an XLR Male panel connector for the xfmr output, with the mating Din 5-pin Male connector to mate with the Headphone Amp's power inlet connector. The IEC-320 connector I selected has an integral 5 x 20mm fuse holder. Though a simple fuse holder and a power cord with strain relief would certainly suffice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Symetrix SX304 Headphone Amp Pwr Xfmr-1.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	912479 Click image for larger version

Name:	Symetrix SX304 Headphone Amp Pwr Xfmr-3.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	912481 Click image for larger version

Name:	Symetrix SX304 Headphone Amp Pwr Xfmr-4.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	912483
      Attached Files

Comment

Wow, this is awesome!! I've tried for the adapter board. I've attached some photos. For the moment seems good idea...

Attached Files

Comment

Hey....that's a nice retrofit. Did you etch that board yourself? Singlel-sided, bottom side fully isolated, so can be glued into place, eh?

Comment

Yes, I etched this board. Single sided and glue into place. Perfect... So, the unit works fine!! But seems that one channel reacts a bit different, maybe it need to readjust the internal trimmers for VCA's. but without a service manual... If anyone have the service manual of this unit, please send me!!
            Last edited by Davebassman; 09-02-2020, 09:39 PM.

Comment

while I don't have the service manual or schematics for the 544, I do have it for the 525, which might offer some clues. I also have part of an article from the Valley People on VCA's that I've attached. I found it in my Symetrix File Folder.

Symetrix 525_sch.pdf

Valley People TA-101 + VCAs_Ben_Duncan.pdf

Comment

Working...
              X