Question about bias supply and negative voltage on a PT with no CT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Jonald View Post
    tubeswell, thank you for your clear explanation. However, my question was about how those resistors affect B+, not the bias voltage.
    Each resistor by forming a voltage divider makes several different nodes of voltage. A B C D
    nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

And we explained early on that those bias resistors will have zero effect on the B+ by themselves. The only way they affect it is by controlling power tube current. Tube current affects B+ voltage. This would be the same if the bias were a totally separate power supply.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by The Jonald View Post
        tubeswell, thank you for your clear explanation. However, my question was about how those resistors affect B+, not the bias voltage.
        They won't affect B+. In the bias supply circuit, you have a total of 441.7 kOhm in series between HT and ground. That is a high impedance (almost effectively an 'infinite' resistance) from the point of view of the load on the PT. A working bias supply draws only about 1mA or so of current (at the best of times). Assuming its actually drawing 1mA, then 1mA across 441.7k = 441.7V (However, your schematic hasn't given us any voltage information. so my number crunching is hypothetical at this point)
        Last edited by tubeswell; 08-28-2020, 03:13 AM.
        Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Originally posted by tubeswell View Post

They won't affect B+. In the bias supply circuit, you have a total of 441.7 kOhm in series between HT and ground. That is a high impedance (almost effectively an 'infinite' resistance) from the point of view of the load on the PT.
          Thank you, this helps put things into perspective.

Comment

If you take the power tubes out while tweaking the bias voltage, you will see that the plate node rises to B+ or nearly so (and that the high voltage rises across all nodes without the idle current through the tubes). Adjusting the bias components without the power tubes should have zero effect on B+.
            When you have a controllable, reliable range of voltages on the bias supply, then put the power tubes back in. Adjusting bias at that point will affect B+ because the idle current through the power tubes will draw down B+. Don't red-plate the tubes!
            If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
            If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
            We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
            MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Working...
            X