MXL Genesis Repair.. help me out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MXL Genesis Repair.. help me out?

Hey y’all, I usually work on tube amps, so this is not my usual repair. Just doing it for a friend! MXL Genesis has a bit of soft crackling going on. It’s related to the tube socket for sure. Jostling the tube in the socket gets it to start and stop, so there is a bad connection somewhere.

Has anyone had to replace these sockets before? I want to be sure 100% of where it’s coming from. Usually I’d just use a scope but will that in any way damage the capsule? Please fill me in on how I can get a scope on this mic so I can trace it safely

I would start by reflowing the socket then cleaning an retensioning the socket and cleaning tube pins. Then go from there.

nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I should have mentioned that I have done this already! Reflowed every solder joint that may be related. The pins inside the socket are too small to retension unfortunately.

Comment

Remember when you jistle the socket, you are also jostling other parts. Poke at the circuits with a wooden chopstick and see if anything reacts.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X