Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electro Voice 647A low impedance microphone wiring help

Hi to all,
    I'm hoping someone in the forum might have one of these old microphones would look at theirs and could advise me of the proper way to wire it to a XLR connector. for pin 1-2-3. The 3 wires from the attached mic cable are red,green (or possinly faded blue, and the braided ground cable. The schematic,(attached) doesn't really address this. Any help would be appreciated!
    Regards
    dad roadie 647A EDS.pdf

The wiring diagrams are right there on page 2 of your .pdf - one for High Z and one for Low Z.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I'm a bit confused by the drawing too. The cable is supposed to be hardwired to the mic. Nothing is shown at pin3 for Lo-Z. So it's unbalanced?
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

It is goofy. The description above the wiring diagrams says, "Low impedance line shall be balanced to ground and phased". However, the diagram would indicate otherwise. Normally, pin 1 and cable shield go to handle only for shielding. Pins 2 & 3 are signal. I might try that (more standard configuration) and see how it works. I'll speculate that if wired with the shield being signal minus instead of shield only (as the diagram says), there will be lots of handling noise.

Comment

I had one of those in the 1960s. I made a bracket for it to hang from the bottom edge of the sound hole on my Gibson J-50. Pointing up across the strings. Actually worked pretty well, sounded good. Yep, coat hanger and duct tape.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Red Green would be proud!

Comment

Working...
            X