Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flutter in Sterling Audio St55

Hi all,

I recently got a Sterling Audio ST55 for free cause the previous owner noticed a high-frequency flutter in the signal. The mic still works for the most part, but the flutter definitely dulls the transients and screws up the presence frequencies in recordings. I'm trying to learn more about electronics/electronic repair so I am coming here for some advice on the repair.

At first glance, it appears that some of the connections from the XLR insert to the main circuit board are worn and one connection looks particularly suspect. I am attaching photos of the suspect connection as well as the photos of the circuit from the recording hacks website. The connection of the red wire is the one I think is suspect. I will try to upload better photos soon. My questions are as follows:
    1. The connection looks like it is still making contact, but it almost looks like the wire has frayed. If I were to go about repairing this, how should I start? Should I desolder the connection and strip back the wire a little more to make a new connection?
    2. In your experience, could this high frequency flutter be a result of a faulty XLR connection? Or is it more likely a failure of one of the other components of the microphone? How could I go about testing the other components to diagnose the problem if it is not just the XLR Connection?
    I've attached photos of the mic. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0426.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	1,000.1 KB
ID:	912704 Click image for larger version

Name:	ST55-circuit.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	912705

[ST55 Article in Recording Hacks Microphone Database] http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Sterling/ST55
    Attached Files
Working...
X