Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for the resident Master Electronicsologist.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for the resident Master Electronicsologist.

Put some Fluence ACTIVE p-ups in my Strat, but hate the push/pull pots. I have dreamt up an idea of what I would like. Sadly, I lack the expertise in this field of study to put it all together [at least on the first try].
    I have attached jpg of idea. Here are the details:

I want eliminate 1 of the 2 Tone pots to create 1 master vol and 1 master tone
    idea shows 6-way selector, but I can work with 5-way
    p-ups have to voicing per p-up. Need push button for that
    p-ups have HFT [high frequency tilt]. Need push button for that.
    The rest, I think, you can deduce from the pic

Strat currently has S-1 switch. If I could use those, my problem would be solved. However, the aren't a 25k pot.
    Question:
    Can I add a resistor or 2 and reduce an S-1 switch to 25k without messing up the vol/tone sweep?

Thanks for any help in advance!
    I tried a couple other forums with no response to this question. I think I may have found the place this time, though

Click image for larger version

Name:	SSS Wiring.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	913569

The schematic in front of you is intended for passive PU.
    If you want to use active PU, you unfortunately have to change the potentiometers to a 10x smaller value, ie 25 kOhm, and increase the value of the capacitor by 10x.

The 220k / 470p / 4.7n filter prevents changing sound when the volume potentiometer decreases (tone potentiometer in boost position), while when tone potentiometer in cut position, the guitar gets a standard dark sound.

The PU switch is a standard stratocaster 5 position switch.
    When the 5 position switch is in position 1 or 5 and Front + Rear switch is on, the Front and Rear PUs operate simultaneously (as Telecaster)
    When the 5 position switch is in position 2 or 4 and Front + Rear switch is on, all 3 PUs operate simultaneously.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3PUw5+1sw.gif Views:	0 Size:	9.1 KB ID:	913615
    https://music-electronics-forum.com/forum/schematic-requests/40591-links-to-guitar-bass-schematics?t=39569
    Links to Guitar & Bass schematics

It's All Over Now

Comment

The basic problem is mechanical i.e. finding a switch that meets your needs. Take your requirements to these guys. There is a good chance they will be able to help you:

https://www.freewayswitch.com/products/

I'm not associated with them in any way, but I did once have to wire one up.
      Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Paralleling a resistor will provide the pickup with an appropriate consistent resistance (25K) but the wiper sees a different resistance to the outer lugs and this affects the sweep. So, from ground the resistance climbs to a peak of around 70K ohm before quickly dropping to 25K at the very end of rotation (assuming an A250K pot). However, the pot is still behaving as a voltage divider and how this sounds and behaves with your particular pickups can only be established through experiment.

You may think that adding 2 resistors - one from each outer lug to the wiper - may be an improvement, but the taper drastically alters and makes the volume sweep very abrupt. Kind of all or nothing.

Comment

Paralleling a 25k resistor with the 250k pot is no good idea even apart from the changed "taper".
          The advantage of a low resistance (25k) pot is that there will be no noticeable treble loss when turning back the volume. And one advantage of active PUs is that they can be used with low resistance pots (though I don't think they require them).
          As Mick explained above the output resistance (at the wiper) will be about the same with or without the parallel resistor. So the resistor will not avoid the treble loss as a 25k vol pot would do.
          Last edited by Helmholtz; 09-17-2020, 04:41 PM.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I knew I found the right forum! I just went through all the other forums I posted on, before I got here to check. This is the only one that offered any help, so thanks everyone!

Remember the cartoon Speed Racer? Remember when he lost his eyesight and had to rely on Racer X to guide him as he drove? That's what we are... [I'm Speed Racer, by the way].

I don't have a deep understanding of electronics. I just have a curious mind and a determination to get things right.
            However, I want to learn and I am a quick study. Is there a good resource online that will help me build a solid understanding of the basics?
            Thanks in advance.

OK
            So, what I am getting is that altering an S-1 is a bad idea. We can reduce the "k", but we can't protect the sweep.
            That leaves only one option. I have to turn the push/pull's into a standard pot + push button.

My goal is this:
            eliminate 2nd tone control
            Convert to 1 master vol + 1 master tone
            take voice and HFT switching away from pots and put them push button [which I need to add to pick guard]

Correct me if I'm wrong. Parts list would be:
            2 standard 25k pots [1vol/1tone]
            2 dpdt push buttons [voice/hft]

Is that it?

Thank you, thank you everyone. Very helpful community here. Appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
            X