Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know a supplier in N. America where I can get Transformer end bells? (EI84 Lamination size)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know a supplier in N. America where I can get Transformer end bells? (EI84 Lamination size)

I don't think Edcor sells them anymore. I could find nothing on their website. Tube amp doctor has a good selection, but they're in Germany, the shipping cost is prohibitive, and I'm worried about customs taking forever.
    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Back when I was working for BGW Systems, where a good portion of our products were using various sizes of EI core power transformers, we bought custom designs from Heyboer, Triad, Pacific Transformer, Schumacher to name a few. I just downloaded the Tempel Steel Laminations catalog to see what they had, and found no listing of the EI84 lamination size in their listings. I haven't looked for alternate sources. One thought would be to contact any/all of the US-Transformer Mfgr's, such as these listed, as well as Magnetic Components, Inc (makers of the Classic Tone xfmrs), as well as Mercury Magnetics, and see if you can acquire end bells from them (as well as core bolts. In the later years, we did a lot of business with Pacific Transformer in Orange County, driving range from our factory in Hawthorne, so it was easy to get various supplies, such as M6 material for magnetic shielding, Mounting legs, core bolts, shoulder washers, soda straw insulators, end bells, etc.

Having done similar internet search as you've already done, it appears these stamped parts have moved off shores, making the acquisition of prototype qty's impossible. So, probably will have to find a xfmr mfgr who does either use EI84 core size, or can accomodate you with their end bell resources as a favor. Good luck on this one.
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

If you want to post dimensions/specs, I can look. I have a box of them. I often save them when I scrap a transformer. There's a possibility I have some layin' around.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Just because something is not listed on a web site doesn't mean they don't have it. Try CALLING the supplier.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The supplier is a dead end. Formerly SLM, formerly Loud, currently providing no legacy support or parts.
          The dimensions are 86mm x 72mm
          If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

I'll do some digging as soon as I can get to the box.

Comment

I don't think Edcor sells them anymore. I could find nothing on their website.
              I meant this, not SLM. Try a CALL to Edcor. And by extension, any other transformer maker who sells to the public.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                I'll do some digging as soon as I can get to the box.
                definitely appreciate that, Dude

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post

I meant this, not SLM. Try a CALL to Edcor. And by extension, any other transformer maker who sells to the public.
                  ah, I can dig that.
                  If Im not mistaken, I believe you may have recommended (once or twice) that people try this in previous inquiries. So, you know what I’m gonna do? I’m gonna give’em a call; see what they got

Comment

Worst that can happen is they say NO, and then we know.

Comment

I looked today and don't have anything that size. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                        I looked today and don't have anything that size. Sorry.
                        Thanks for looking.

Comment

Hammond would be worth a try; I suspect they likely make their own in-house as they also make a large variety of steel enclosures etc. I've never dealt with them personally so no idea how they are with special requests. https://www.hammfg.com/contact

Comment

Try Heyboer Transformers in Grand Rapids Michigan. I've purchased bells from them in the past.
                            --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Comment

Working...
                            X