Old speaker repair question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tubemonster View Post
    Kind of late in the game here, but another place here in florida is https://reconingspeakers.com/
    Thanks! No, not late, this is a leaning project. I didn't think Id get it perfect on the first try. The glue turned out to be a heck of a lot more difficult to work with than I thought. Way on the back burner, I wanted to get my skills up and pick up a pair of Bose 901 III's with dead foam, and get them up to speed. For years, you could get them cheap, but prices climbing like everything else. Still I see a pair here and there in Cragistlist, with bad foam, good otherwise. So, Im not against, tearing out what i did and doing over again.
    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Originally posted by mikepukmel View Post

Thanks! No, not late, this is a leaning project. I didn't think Id get it perfect on the first try. The glue turned out to be a heck of a lot more difficult to work with than I thought. Way on the back burner, I wanted to get my skills up and pick up a pair of Bose 901 III's with dead foam, and get them up to speed. For years, you could get them cheap, but prices climbing like everything else. Still I see a pair here and there in Cragistlist, with bad foam, good otherwise. So, Im not against, tearing out what i did and doing over again.
      Both of the places mentioned in Florida in this thread have been pretty easy to talk to, ask questions, etc, when I've needed speaker help.

Comment

I knocked a magnet off the bench one time, and for the life of me couldn't find it. Much later I found it had stuck to the side of my metal tool cart.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I kind of collect the magnets off of bad speakers I decide to trash. I have this great idea of making them into mega refrigerator magnets one day. One side of one of my tool chests has become a magnet storage space.

Comment

Originally posted by tubemonster View Post
            I kind of collect the magnets off of bad speakers I decide to trash. I have this great idea of making them into mega refrigerator magnets one day. One side of one of my tool chests has become a magnet storage space.
            One of my friends has one hung up on his garage wall. Instead of throwing darts, we throw bottle caps.
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post

One of my friends has one hung up on his garage wall. Instead of throwing darts, we throw bottle caps.
              Hey, now that's an idea.
              Hmm, might be fun collecting some bottle caps too.

Comment

Im guessing the tweeter is probably considered a non speaker at this point, Sad after all that work to get the surrounds fixed up. Thinking about picking up a couple of tweeters someplace that might fit. But not so willing to put money into these speakers, they're not very desirable, not so efficient and don't sound fantastic, just more or less a novelty Ah beans, would have been nice basement speakers, if just for the conversation pieces of having working 1978 The guy whose company made those originally is still doing some work up in New Hampshire. i emailed him about fixing these old tweeters but he didn't respond. I guess I can't blame him.
                The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Working...
                X