X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOTU 2408 - Broken Potentiometer

hello y'all!
    hope you guys are all in good health
    I've had "an accident" and hit the MAIN OUT VOL potentiometer on my (ancient but good sounding) MOTU 2408 mk3
    Apparently it is a 10 KOhm Linear potentiometer (i read VR2 10KL on the board) but I couldn't find a replacement. I see SHB 10K written on the housing. The guys at MOTU were not eager to help identifying the supplier or selling a spare.
    When I flip the board I see the pot has 7 pins soldered to the PCB... and this is where I get lost
    Silly question (because I'm sure you do)... do you have any suggestions?
    Thanks!

Click image for larger version  Name:	MOTU MAIN OUT VOL.jpg Views:	0 Size:	286.5 KB ID:	920116

Just guessing, but likely a 10k linear x2, ie a stereo pot.

What is the width of the blue pot body?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Agree- probably linear and stereo/dual. I'm hesitant to even suggest it, but since it could be hard to find,...... Is the wafer broken, or just got cockeyed? Is it possible to just take it apart, realign it, put it back together, add a little glue, and fix it? Otherwise, it might be hard to find.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

A few months ago, I was searching for a replacement pot for a Volume pot for a powered M-Audio Subwoofer, I think it was. Exhausted all the regular sources for this OEM Asian pot, and ended up on ebay, sorting thru EVERY stinking PCB mounted pot on their listing. I did find the manufacturer's control, though the pot value was different. Think it was 10k vs 20k, slight difference in shaft detail, but it worked. I do recall seeing this pot during the search, but it wasn't what I was looking for, so didn't pay attention, other than having seen it before. That's a pisser that Motu has no interest in being supportive. All to typical with products given 3 to 5 years max life, after which mfgr falls behind PRODUCT NO LONGER SUPPORTED clause. Their philosophy being BUY OUR LATEST PRODUCT. I had to look in my rack.....my two Motu 2408's are MK II's, so no help there. Good luck with your search.
        Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Anything like this? https://www.soundservice.gr/e-shop/e...oducts_id=6850
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Look at the photo, the wafer is shattered.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Now does 90 cents at Mouser sound?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...dMohF46g%3D%3D

The pictures are of a couple sorts, but the P140KV1 type is what you want. Download the data sheet and verify. And the BR10K is a 10k resistance linear.

Comment

thank you guys,

Enzo I'd need to open the soundcard again to measure the blue housing... i took the photo a while ago and have been using the ANALOG 1 and 2 OUTPUTS instead of the MAIN OUT as i got no sound out of it after the incident.

The Dude I was hoping it could be mechanically repaired. Haven't tried that yet

nevetslab MOTU stopped supporting this sound card not only physically (repairs, spares) but also no driver updates for a few years now. I have just upgraded MAC to BIG SUR yesterday with the fear the SOUNDCARD would not work anymore. It did, but the MOTU PCI audio setup and CUE mix are not upported by the OS anymore). Programmed obsolescence coming from all fronts.

@g1 it does look like that with its 7 pins and all, right? I remember seeing some ALPS pots on my search, I am not sure I've seen this one. What do you guys think?

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                  Now does 90 cents at Mouser sound?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...dMohF46g%3D%3D

The pictures are of a couple sorts, but the P140KV1 type is what you want. Download the data sheet and verify. And the BR10K is a 10k resistance linear.
                  sounds like I still need a lot of practice searching for stuff in MOUSER (got pretty good looking for caps and resistors, though)

you guys are good...

Comment

Working...
                  X