Heaven - a gig story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heaven - a gig story

So back in the early 1970s, our band Universe was playing around lower Michigan and in Ontario. Mostly dance bars, though for some reason a lot of high school dances in Ontario liked us. I set up the sound system, pretty basic. We played one gig at a club called Heaven in Drayton Plains, a suburb of Pontiac, or if you prefer, a far fringe of Detroit.

Heaven was unusual, it used to be a bowling alley, so they left the lanes, filled in all the gutters and it made a dandy dance floor. The stage was over in one corner. The stage was round, and it rotated. Like the classic Three Stooges movie where the fireplace spins around and now you are on the other side of the wall. The stage had a wall across th center. It was basically two stages back to back. The club hired two bands. You played a set, then hit the button and the stage rotated around and the other band emerged. The fun was, at the end of our set we got with the other band and we either started a tune they knew and they finished it as the stage spun Or we just did a jam. In either case we were still playing as we rotated out of sight, and the other team rotated into view already playing.... the same song.

One problem, all my mic cords had to be unhooked before we spin, or they'd go with the stage. I had built a snake, and the head was at the back corner of the stage, so tearing out all the mic cords was at least at one place. Unplug them all and toss the head off the stage proper.

Now in exploring the place, I discovered there was space behind a wall along one side. In fact, they had left the old pinsetter machines in place and just put a wall in front of them. Big complex machines, lots of moving sub assemblies. And I saw that the cables connecting these subassemblies were joined by big AMphenol screw-on connectors. I forget now, but 50-80 pin jobs. Bingo. SO I climbed onto one machine and took a mated pair of these. I mounted half the connector on my snake head, and put the mate on the end of my snake cable. Now when I came time to spin out of view, I just spun the collar of my connector and parted it. I felt darn clever.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

It would have been pretty cool to see the rotating stages. Great idea on snagging the Amphenol connectors! Makes it so much easier for connections. I've been using them (or TE [Tyco] or Pyle National, etc. before they become part of Amphenol) for many years when I worked in the oilfield and now in the mining industry. Rugged and reliable.

Comment

Ah...rotating stages. My band worked the LA County/San Bernadino/Orange County circuit in the late 60's-early 70's. An old Qunasit Hut building had been turned into a teen night club in Seal Beach CA (Orange County) called Marina Palace. They too had a rotating stage, and had it segmented into three sections instead of two. The mics remained up front off of the rotating stage, so we didn't have that problem. Mr Robertson, a crusty old Native Indian/White mix also wanted the bands to spin on and off playing the same song, but that never happened in our presence. We had a girl singer, which frustrated him to no end, as he didn't allow females back stage.

There was one other club that had a rotating stage... The Kalidescope in Hollywood, just east of Sunset Blvd and Vine St. We played that club one weekend with Arthur Lee/Love and Pacific Gas and Electric back in 1969, I think it was. I think that place used to be the Aragon Ballroom. Right across the street from the Paladium.

Sounds like you came away with Amphenol MS-Series Multipin connectors. I used those for a number of years in our PA system as we got better gear over time. I used to buy those used or new-old stock from Connie at Apex Electronics out in Sun Valley. She new that series like the back of her hand, having worked for Lockheed Aircraft for years....those being standard aircraft military connectors.
      Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Oh I used to really like Love and Arthur Lee, later Arthurlee. Lots of Mosrite guitars.

Yeah, mics on the apron would work for singers, but no help for drum mics and mics on the Leslie.

MAtching songs with the next band wasn't hard, if you didn't do any same songs, a basic blues riff in G worked fine. Bands didn't "tune down" or such back then. Hard to detune your B3 anyway.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

These days, you'd just unplug a cat5 cable.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Cable/schmable, I'd just turn off the WiFi

Comment

Working...
            X