Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TC Eelectronic G Major 1 screen issue

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • TC Eelectronic G Major 1 screen issue

    Hello,

    my G Major 1 screen, has suddenly start to fail. They need to be changed?

    Anybody can help?

    Thanks!
    Attached Files

  • #2
    I've had two that have been like this, but it's a few years back now and I can't recall exactly what I did but It did involve partially dismantling the display assembly. Both times they didn't fail again. I think there was some kind of contact or alignment issue. Anyhow the replacement part was more than a good used complete unit was going for, so wasn't economical to replace. Fortunately the repairs were tricky but successful.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
      I can't recall exactly what I did but It did involve partially dismantling the display assembly. Both times they didn't fail again. I think there was some kind of contact or alignment issue.
      Elastomer or some kind of contact strips that needed cleaning?

      "Everything is better with a tube. I have a customer with an all-tube pacemaker. His heartbeat is steady, reassuring and dependable, not like a modern heartbeat. And if it goes wrong he can fix it himself. You can't do that with SMD." - Mick Bailey

      Comment


      • #4
        Here is a good video of how to clean the strip.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPz74Cpn7b8

        Comment


        • #5
          I tried to clean the strips and the pcb pads... nothing... The screen still have the same issues...

          Comment


          • #6
            Would you post some pictures of the dismantled display? It may jog my memory, but I think I originally cleaned the contact strips and it wasn't successful. I did have to dismantle the assembly two or three times before I located the fault but with the second unit I got for repair I went straight to the problem. I didn't make any notes at the time. I realize this isn't very helpful but I was repairing several hundred items each year along with instrument repairs at the time, so documenting things fell down the list.

            Comment


            • #7
              Here we go...
              Attached Files

              Comment


              • #8
                Ah.... that looks familiar. I went through the pad/contact cleaning routine and it made no difference. My suspicion was then with the contacts to the main PCB (to the L&R of the display). I resoldered these and put everything back together and it worked fine, but a few days later the same fault had come back. When I took a look at the assembly I could see that the strips had compressed and at the same time the plastic surround had distorted so that when pressed together the strips were not being held in the correct alignment. Maybe after I'd resoldered the board I just got lucky the way it aligned, but the contact pressure was not being maintained. I did a search for the strips and there are many generic types that may have been suitable, but none in the UK at the time. My plan was to use new strips as a starting point, but ended up using the original strips and did something to the plastic assembly to keep the alignment.

                At this point I can't recall what that was, but I remember before carrying out any further work I experimented to see what was needed to get the display working and by pressing down and slightly squeezing the display the in the middle (top to bottom in the middle of the longest edges) and all the characters rendered perfectly. This gave me a clue to what was needed to fix it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Agree.
                  Crimp the bezel incorrectly and you will lose characters.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X