Marantz pmd 221 wrong voltage blew device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marantz pmd 221 wrong voltage blew device

Hey I have a Marantz PMD 221 3 head tape recorder here, which was put under wrong voltage, european standards instead of 120v, and does not work anymore.
    Is there any hope of repairing it? Like just a main fuse that could be burnt? Or is it rather possible that its wrecked completely?
    I have found the service manual, but its hard for me to understand really.
    I have not opened it up completely yet, because im not sure how to get to the top of the main pcb. I opened up the bottom and detached the front panel and all the knobs and am looking at the back of a pcb.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	photo5305334657505670326.jpg Views:	0 Size:	222.5 KB ID:	925062

Any help is heavily appreciated, thanks!
    Last edited by Flux; 02-22-2021, 10:44 PM.

I have a stack of those each with some dumb probleem like a belt or switch contact. I haven't looked at them for a few years, but don't they run on either batteries when portable or a power adaptor when stationary? If so, first thing to check is the power adaptor itself.

These are professional units, and fairly nice, but they are very dense and compact. It is quite complicated to take them apart, and make careful notes which screws go where. You will find both sheet metal screws and machine screws on the same part. The bracket that holds the control needs to unscrew from t he board. Certain tiny wires trail off to the mic or other places, and take care not to break them off.

Not a job for a novice.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Assuming that the DC adapter is toast, have you tried it with batteries?
      If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
      If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
      We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
      MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

I tried it with batteries, but didnt work at first. But now I gave it another try and its working! Awesome thanks! I guess the power cable is wrecked tho.
        I would still like to know how to open it up, because there are some minor issues with the device. Does anyone know how I get to the belts and motors?

Comment

I had a local news reporter who used those, they have a phone interface. Whenever one would break, she'd get a new one. Then she discovered my shop - I could FIX them. So then she started bringing in her old broke ones too. Then one day she disappeared - she was older than me, so I think she passed on.

In any case, I have taken those apart tons of time, but I really can't tell you how. You have to make sure the R/P switch tab gets in the slot. I may be foggy, but I seem to recall the transport coming out as a unit. You took the face off, and I recall the little bracket holding controls holding things together. And if you put one in front of me now, it would all come flashing back to me, but I can't give you a clear picture.

I give one tip: NOTHING REQUIRES FORCE.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            I often learn that the hard way - pun intended
            MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

I had a local news reporter who used those, they have a phone interface. Whenever one would break, she'd get a new one. Then she discovered my shop - I could FIX them. So then she started bringing in her old broke ones too. Then one day she disappeared - she was older than me, so I think she passed on.
              Thats why I like these old devices so much, they bring lots of good memories!

I keep that in mind thanks!

My problems are that the motors seem to move a bit slow and not very freely and you can hear them more or less loudly. When using a cassette in example, rewind/ff will stop after a few seconds, because they dont have the strength to turn the tape. Maybe just dirt and old belts?!
              The other problem is that when I recorded something and play it on "low" speed, a very annoying, high pitched pheep sound will appears.

If I dont get it to open up, ill make a video. Maybe you can recall your memories then :P
              Last edited by Flux; 02-24-2021, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Hey I wanna buy a new power supply for the pmd 221. The Output of the original says: 4.5v 700mA. I thought about buying a universal power supply for it because I dont find one with the right jack. Can I use a universal power supply with a 3v, 4.5v, ..., 12v selector and 1000mA? As far as I know, too much amp is not a problem. Is that right? Dont wanna burn it again!
                Last edited by Flux; 02-26-2021, 02:48 PM.

Comment

With those universal power supplies, polarity becomes an issue. Verify polarity and voltage before plugging anything in... but you know that

Comment

Yeah right, both are DC

Comment

The schematic indicates the supply polarity is Tip Positive.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Oh, good to know, thanks!

Comment

The old (original) american power supply has a polarity symbol on the plug. Is this for tip positive? Does positive tip go into negative center?
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	Negative-Center-e1432623279147.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	7.5 KB ID:	925778
                          The universal power supply I bought for europe can do both, depending on how I insert the plug.
                          Im confused about what I need now..

Comment

That is the symbol for tip negative. The sleeve is positive.
                            The power supply and the device need to match neg-neg and pos-pos. Does that make sense?

Comment

Also, if it helps, Tip = Center
                              Originally posted by Enzo
                              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                              X