No announcement yet.

Marantz pmd 221 wrong voltage blew device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The schematic indicates the supply polarity is Tip Positive.
    So this is wrong? Its acutally tip negative? Im confused now.
    I guess if the original power supply says tip negative, this should be right

Comment

If you have doubts, use your meter. Find out which pin of the DC input jack goes to ground.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

As long as you understand the "tip" is the hole in the center of the barrel plug.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
          The schematic indicates the supply polarity is Tip Positive.
          Originally posted by Flux View Post
          So this is wrong? Its acutally tip negative? Im confused now.
          I guess if the original power supply says tip negative, this should be right
          I would say that the power supply is the wrong one for the unit. And the damage was done because it was the wrong supply, not because of someone plugging it in to 220V (which is probably not possible because the plugs are different).
          So unless you are 100% positive that is the original power supply, locate one that is correct for the unit, not one that is like the one you have.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

The old power supply is labeled with Marantz, but nothing about the model. I tested it yesterday already with the center negative plug and it worked.

Comment

Well if it works then it's good.
              Possibly there are different schematic revisions or someone used the incorrect symbol for the DC jack on the schematic.
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Very frustrating when thre described conditions are ambivalent.
                What 'worked'?
                The power supply itself?
                The schematic clearly shows the tip "positive".
                If you have a power supply that is tip negative, it is noty the correct supply.

Comment

The device worked and therefore also the power supply.
                  Its a universal power supply so if I turn the plug around, the polarity can be switched from center positive to center negative or the other way around.
                  I used the polarity with this symbol:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Negative-Center-e1432623279147.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	925895
                  I plugged it in the device (I removed the batteries first) and the device is working.

I can try to switch to tip positive, but can I damage the device if the schematic is wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                    If you have doubts, use your meter. Find out which pin of the DC input jack goes to ground.
                    I don't think this question was answered by the OP. Answer this by using ohms meter to confirm which pin on DC input jack goes to ground. Once that is answered then we will know definitively what is the middle pin's polarity.

Edit: Yes something is a miss here. I believe the original power supply part is DA-36 and it is tip negative. Perhaps the schematic is the misleading factor here but definitely confusing.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1700258096

double Edit: The manual states pin negative as well.

https://www.manualscenter.com/manual...er-manual.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2021-03-07 12-47-23.png
Views:	177
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	925909
                    Last edited by DrGonz78; 03-07-2021, 06:49 PM.
                    When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                      I can try to switch to tip positive, but can I damage the device if the schematic is wrong?
                      Yes you could damage it. No need to try it that way.
                      From what Dr.Gonz78 posted from the user manual, it seems that the schematic is wrong.

Comment

The bottom line is that it works the way it is now.
                        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks a lot to all of you, youre awesome! I really appreciate your help

Comment

Working...
                          X