Shure model 55 (vintage) for repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shure model 55 (vintage) for repair

This mic puts out a very low, "boxy" signal. I opened it, and all connections look good. How can I figure out if the moving coil element or the transformer is at fault?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	229
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	926091
    --
    I build and repair guitar amps
    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

I'm thinking I can unsolder the capsule from the transformer, and connect my signal generator there, or even my iPhone with some music, and see how it sounds at the other end of the microphone cable. Any trouble with this test?
    --

Comment

Don’t see why not
      Also, could test the capsule element by connecting it directly to a high gain, low impedance input, to check if that helps with the boxy tone.
      Or patch in a transformer from another dynamic mic, eg wire up the capsule of this one to be in place of the one from that mic. Assuming you’ve got another high impedance mic handy
      My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

The model 55 has a three way impedance switch, M position is 150R, same as SM57/58. Thanks, Pete.
        --

Comment

I tested the model 55's transformer by playing music thru it, and it sounded perfect--full bandwidth. So, I cannabalized an old SM58 for its capsule and installed it in the model 55. Works great! Sounds like a 58, no surprise. I made a web of zip ties to hold the new capsule in the spring-suspended cage. A real MacGyver bodge, but it will last another 60 years!

Name:	shure_model55.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	926143

Attached Files
          --

Comment

Originally posted by xtian View Post
            I tested the model 55's transformer by playing music thru it, and it sounded perfect--full bandwidth. So, I cannabalized an old SM58 for its capsule and installed it in the model 55. Works great! Sounds like a 58, no surprise. I made a web of zip ties to hold the new capsule in the spring-suspended cage. A real MacGyver bodge, but it will last another 60 years!

Nice work there, McGyver would be proud! Recently had a 55 in for a fix, but it was just a botched cable, thank hevvins. Rewired it for balanced, with a regular XLR plug. To me, the original working 55 sounds much like an SM58 anyway, with a slightly rounded off high end. Mellow, suitable for music of the time it was built. Shure had their house curve built in, all the way back then.
            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Just an FYI: That "house curve" or presence peak was built in so that their mics would sound good with the Shure Vocal Master system which had no tweeters.
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Funny you should mention that PA system....I have a Vocal Master here kicking around down in the basement somewhere.....been there for years...

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                  Just an FYI: That "house curve" or presence peak was built in so that their mics would sound good with the Shure Vocal Master system which had no tweeters.
                  If that's the case, they "shure" hit a winner. The 55 and its relatives, later SM58 and all of its relatives, sound pretty darn good with any competent PA system.

Tweeters (horns) who knew... use Shure mics and you don't need em!
                  This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by xtian View Post

Excellent cobbling job there!! I've always liked those old 55's, so even if it's a different capsule in there, it's still a Shure Bros' mic! Rock on!
                    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

When I was in my first band in middle school and high school years we had that Vocal Master as our PA system. We always used sm58 mics too and it sounded pretty good. I use to plug my guitar in and crank it till it created the nastiest fuzz sound. It was not a fuzz distortion that could be used for anything other than making an experimental type noise.
                      When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Working...
                      X