Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plugging my amp headphone out into computer interface.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plugging my amp headphone out into computer interface.

Hello!
    So, I've bought myself an audio interface (Behringer UMC22) and wanted to plug my amp headphone out into it using a cable (TRRS into male XLR) and after plugging that in, had a lot of noise, delayed signal, or even nothing at all.
    Turned out, the headphone out is TRRS. So after some (i think bad) research, I have found an adapter, that changed TRS into TRRS. I have no idea if it's possible, but it seems like that adapter is one directional, meaning it doesn't really transfer any signal from the headphone out into the interface, like 0 signal at all. It seems like the TRS -> TRRS adapter makes the TRRS part the input, where I'd need it to be the opposite. In my mind, it has to be the jack fault, since when I used the adapter, there was NEVER any signal, where as without it, the TRS didn't seem to work properly, but there was some signal. Does anybody have an idea what can I do?

I really don't know if this makes sense, just for making it easier I will list every spec that will probably be crucial.
    Marshall MG10G TRRS output (and also an input jack, but I don't think this matters)
    Behringer UMC22 (got a xlr female as input and a big jack for a second instrument (i suppose))
    TRS -> XLR male cable
    TRS -> TRRS adapter (that seems to work the opposite way)
    And the route im trying is: AMP TRRS out - TRRS male (adapter) -TRS female (adapter) -TRS male - XLR male - XLR Female (the interface).

It's my first time troubleshooting stuff like that, I hope i managed to describe my problem well. I don't have to do it the way I thought it out, I can buy more cables I just need directions.
    Thanks for any replies!

Oh and also, if there is an option of soldering something, I can do it, got the tools, I just have to know what to solder.

Comment

You don't want to try to go into the interface with an XLR, as that is looking for a balanced signal (two copies of the audio, out of phase with each other, and a ground). Your headphone out can't do out of phase. I would just get a splitter to convert the headphone output to two 1/4 mono outputs and put of of those into the Line 1 input. You could probably get away with just putting a TS plug into the headphone out of the amp, but that would be shorting the ring to ground and I think they can usually deal with that but I don't like to do it anyway.

Comment

I agree. You don't want to run a headphone level into an XLR that's looking for a mic level signal. I'd built a TRS to TS cable and just not connect the ring to anything on the TRS end.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Okay, I'm going to refund the cables and tomorrow I'll buy the one You mentioned. Thank you very much.

Comment

Couple things don't seem quite right, here.

An amp headphone out would have no need to be a TRRS. The extra 'R" on 1/8" ones are usually for phones and talk back, etc. It's probably a TRS jack. Common, left, right.

That Marshall amp probably isn't stereo? So, it's sending the same exact signal to left and right of headhones, anyway?

I don't know about plugging a mono TS cable in to the heaphone jack of that amp, but it's probably just the same signal paralleled, anyway? So, just use a guitar cable, plug into 1/4" input on interface, and call it good?

BTW...you'll get the sound of the amp circuit, but it probably won't be very inspiring, minus the speaker, etc.

Just an observation.

Brad1

Comment

Working...
            X