High Pass Filter (help me)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Pass Filter (help me)

Hi, I will design a very simple basic "high pass filter" for my guitar circuit. I want to light touch and shape the sound. I have already equalizer but I want to this inside of guitar circuit.

Here is the filter circuit schematic;
    Click image for larger version

Name:	crct.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	930509

the Cutoff frequency value I want is ~ 397hz.

in this case, I can use R of 40K and C of 0.01uf.

Another option;
    I can use R of 20K and C of 0.02uf.

Another option;
    I can use R of 10K and C of 0.04uf.

All of them provide about ~ 397hz. What is the difference in between them?

The problem is you cannot consider the filter in isolation. It is driven by something (source) and it is connected to something (load). The impedance of both the source and the load will interact with your filter and that will influence your choice of component values. If you make the filter components low impedance it will load down the source yet if you make them too high the filter will be affected by the load (cable and amplifier). If you take a look at the typical values used for the pots in a guitar then that is a clue. I suggest you try 100K and 3.9nF as a sort of compromise.
    Last edited by nickb; 05-02-2021, 08:35 AM.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

It might help you to look up "bass cut" in the guitar tech sub forum. There are a few discussions for guitar tone controls that cover high pass filters used with actual guitar circuits.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I like the bass control shown here. The 1M pot can be replaced with a trim pot and tucked away inside the guitar so that the frequency can be fine-tuned. It works really well.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	GL-Tone-Circuit.jpeg
Views:	201
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	930545

Comment

Working...
        X