RE20 Intermittent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE20 Intermittent

odd problem. It works, then it doesn't. It just stops. Now, I haven't had it cut out on me in the middle of a recording or anything, but I've recorded for a few minutes, stopped and then returned after about a half hour or so, and it's dead. So far in my testing, I've taken it apart, looked at the ckt board, reflowed all of the solder connections, tested the element for continuity, tested the xfmr windings, jiggled wires with it plugged into a meter reading continuity. All seems good. Put it back together and it works for a while and then it doesn't.
    I'm at a loss...
    Attached Files

Have you connected that mic with a different cord into a different mixer input to see if the mic is still defective or if there is something about the particular mixer channel?

And the innards of the mic, the transformer or the element itself, could just be intermittent.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Time was, ElectroVoice was very good about repairing their microphones. I don't know what the deal is currently. Worth your time to inquire if your RE20 doesn't start behaving itself pronto. If you do check in with EV please share their response with us, TIA.

Great mic, btw. I have one and it's the bees knees especially for mic'ing people with harsh voices, makes 'em sound smooth as butter. Also as I'm sure you know, a clear winner on kick drum, acoustic bass, baritone sax. I saw a YT video the other day, Jackson Browne performing at home, singing into an RE20. He's got big bucks, could have chosen any mic, sounds terrific on the '20.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

My mic problem is when I leave a mic plugged into the XLR cable, come back later (usually the next day) and the mic is dead. I find that wiggling the XLR plugs fix that. Is that something you've tried?
        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Yes, I've tried everything. I've had it apart multiple times including resoldering the xlr jack.

Comment

It's been a several years since I've been inside the RE-20. I do have some photos of that last adventure:

Click image for larger version

Name:	RE-20-1.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	934099 Click image for larger version

Name:	RE-20-2.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	934101 Click image for larger version

Name:	RE-20-3.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	934103

Click image for larger version

Name:	RE-20-4.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	934105 Click image for larger version

Name:	RE-20-5.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	934107

I don't have my service notes on this repair, when I was working at Westlake Recording Studios in the early 2000's, prior to coming here to CenterStaging. Good hunting!
            Attached Files
            Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

nevetslab;
              Mine is newer than that. The guts are different, No solder tabs on mine.

Comment

Working...
              X