• Show
Clear All

• Kustom challenger amplifier capacitor

Click image for larger version

Name:	94BE29B6-6DEA-4A35-82F3-A4FA3D343AA6.jpeg
Views:	296
Size:	3.57 MB
ID:	938759 Hello,
    Thank you for including me in this group. First time post. I came across this Kustom Challenger this morning and couldn’t resist the purchase. It has a loud hiss and the signal is distorted. I was excited to find the potential problem. Someone had mistaken the power indicator bulb for a button and pushed it in. Unfortunately in doing so they broke one of the capacitors as well. The capacitor reads 476 20m. Does anyone know what this capacitor is? What should I order to replace it? Does this mean 476 volts and 20 pico farans? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

What is the circuit board number. Look on the solder side for a number starting with PC.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Check here for the Kustom Challenger Schematic.

Looks like C32, a 47uf 15 v cap.
      It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

PC 5094 Rev 2 KEI -1 Click image for larger version

Name:	F007D023-BD16-428E-94CF-275F0D4B0B7C.jpeg
Views:	265
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	938765

Comment

I'm with Tom, 47uf 15v Certainly 25v, 35v or 50v would be fine too, don't limit yourself.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I think the markings indicate 47u 20V 20%

Comment

And remember that that cap is a tantalum electrolytic and is polarized. Be sure to install the new one with the correct polarity.

Comment

Kustom Challenger 50w
                https://usermanual.wiki/Document/kustomchallenger50wcircuitdiagram.442555207.pdf
                1)

Click image for larger version

Name:	KClay.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	938820
                C32 47u/ 15V
                Last edited by vintagekiki; 08-11-2021, 09:11 PM. Reason: 1)
                It's All Over Now

Comment

Wow!!! Thank y’all so much for the help. I really appreciate all the advice and the schematics! Thank you for the reminder on the polarity too. I ordered some C32’s. and a whole assortment of capacitors in case anything else needs attention. I’ll update the results when I get it fixed.

Comment

Working...
                  X