X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fostex A-8 Card/Channel Headache

hey!

wouldnt be posting if i wasnt more or less at my wit's end here -

refurbing this machine - when i got it, it was having all kinds of problems so i took the logical first step with these type/era of recorders and re-soldered the motherboard to make sure all the channel/connector pins were making good contact. that seemed to pretty much get it going but some channels were still a bit quiet. i troubleshot them one at a time and decided to re-solder the connectors on the cards themselves, as well. since then i've been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what the heck is going on:

when i turn the machine on, tracks 3, 5, 6, and 7, if in 'tape' mode, just slam the VU meter as if im putting in a super hot, fluttery signal. if i switch them to 'input' mode, they act normal. this problem travels with the card if i swap them around. if i bend the card a bit when its in the socket i can get it to hit a sweet spot and it acts normal, but i have to tweak it just right and if left alone it goes right back to acting screwy - pinning the VU meter all the way in 'tape' mode with the machine stopped and no signal passing through.

channels 1 and 2 work OK, but channel 1 will sometime do the abovementioned thing. channel 4 works fine and so does channel 8. ive been soldering and resoldering thinking i have to get the pins just right and occasionally it will work for a little while, but then other problems might ensue, such as not recording properly.

in short, there seems to be something terminally wrong with the card connectors or perhaps the relays? like i said, the problem travels with the card, but almost all of the channels seem to be at least mildly susceptible to it.

the service manual i have does not have the right schematic for the cards - its the one for the A8 and A8LR thats floating around the internet - so i cannot very easily scope whats happening/would just be prodding at random points in the circuit. i can locate the spot where the card receives signal from the heads, of course, but thats about it.

any thoughts?? anyone have a similar issue with one of these machines before? its driving me crazy

I'd swap out relays from the good card to the bad card to verify if it's relays or not. If not, the connectors sounds like a pretty good suspect.
    If memory serves, the relays were problematic in these, and may have become unavailable in the 90's sometime.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

thanks g1! very helpful, as always -

i did a relay swapping and determined they were most likely at fault. looked a bit online to try and find them but no dice on a direct replacement. figured id try cleaning them real good first and -

did the trick! got in there with a business card and some alcohol. sprayed them out with some cleaner, too, and made sure the contacts were bent properly and touching where they should.

all channels running well and machine is actually sounding pretty good!!

pesky relays.....

fingers crossed im done with this one!

Comment

I have one of these here....Good info to know as I will probably be working on mine after the winter....thanks for posting.....

Comment

I have the same machine and had exactly the same problem with OP and can confirm, after two weeks of troubleshooting and having replaced many components turned out it was the relays. You can see my thread here.
          http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=95591

Wish i had found this thread before spending so much time on it. It isn't the molex pin plug in connectors. It is the relays. Problem can be solved also by cleaning their contacts as mentioned above but it will be a temporary fix only. So replace them all straightforward is the way to go.

For anyone else searching for exact replacements (straightforward pcb fit) for A8 relays, just look / google search for "4100 type miniature 6pin 24V relays".

Original Relays used: Omron G2E 182P 24V

Exact Silicon Sealed Replacements: Rayex LU-24 (not LUZ-24), Hongfa HFD41 (not HFD41-A) 24V, FRS1B-S 24V, 4100 JRC 21F 24V, Hui Ke HK4100 24V etc.

You are looking for this datasheet/specs:
          https://ibb.co/yW7p8QC

***** Now, after having completely fixed 3 out of the 8 channel boards by just only replacing those relays, I'm still having trouble with one channel with new relay installed. Will buy and solder another one, as it could be problematic from factory, who knows. But if it's not that case, what other neighbor components should be tested or replaced? I'm 100% sure issue comes from this area. Confirmed this by freeze spray and chopstick tapping.

Again as OP said there's no correct scheme for A8. Have contacted Fostex, no reply yet. Pretty hard to reverse engineer, so mostly blind tracing and replacing parts ..
          Circuitry there is pretty common though, will attach the A8-LR's model diagram of the Rec/Repro Amp area to get an idea. A8's is similar but not the same. K101 , where my orange arrow is showing, is the relay mentioned in the scheme.
          https://ibb.co/Jq9vQGY

There are driver transistors and other components nearby that may be shot. Most tested fine, cannot be sure for all though as they were DMM tested in circuit, not desoldered.

Any thoughts?
          ​​
          Last edited by sarakisof; 03-20-2022, 01:01 AM.

Comment

UPDATE: Swapped the new relay on this bad channel with its old original one in which i cleaned its contacts and it worked.

So turns out the new one installed was bad from factory or my strong trusty old 370C Weller iron overhated it who knows. Tomorrow i will get the other new relay so my machine will be ready to rock.

Comment

Working...
            X