Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to increase a pots value??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen those in Weber's store
    https://taweber.powweb.com/store/chassis/chord2.html
    order code AP1 $5 each
    Peter
    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Steve,
      I think that Ted Weber still sells those socket adaptor plates....
      Something like $5 each.

Marc

Comment

I just ordered two from Weber, thanks guys!

I'd have tried making them myself, but it's for my Crown SXA project, so we're talking living room grade metalwork here :-)

I couldn't figure out how to make them neatly: if I cut the plate out first, then it would be hard to grip it for drilling the hole, and a Greenlee punch would warp it to heck. If I drilled the hole first, then I wouldn't have a pilot hole for the hole saw I'd be using to cut the plate out. Weber says his are laser cut.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Problem solved. But for future reference, given that description, I think I would Cut the plate first, clamp it between two slabs of wood or plywood with a hole large enough to clear the hole punch body. Might that work to keep it from warping? A couple of pins through the sandwich should keep it from spinning.

And if your hole saw is mounted in a drill press, then the pilot hole is not needed. Clamp the work to the table and the press wil keep the bit centered. That lets you cut the plate after the hole.

ANd if you want nice neat round adaptors for exterior mounting then go for it. I was thinking of mounting them up under the chassis and just cutting them square.

But for just $5, why bother. Like I like to tell people, why spend $20 labor on a $5 part. Parts are cheaper than labor.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
            JMHO but the Torres passive mid boost is a bogus circuit...

The mid cut control is an excellent circuit though. But despite his claiming it as "The Torres patented mid control" for years, this is an almost identical circuit as used by Gibson in their L5 guitars from the 70's. If it was patented, it wasn't by Torres. But he never did say it was his patent either. He only said it was patented. Still, I think it's a great circuit. There is a way to completely remove it from the pickup circuitry at the pots full rotation. You must remove the back of the pot and scratch through the carbon track where it meets the unused lug. Then you can use a 250k pot for a more predictable taper and still have no loading to guitars signal when the control is full off...

Decrease inductor value to decrease top end. Increase inductor value to increase top end. (Dan uses those little TL#### transformers from Mouser as inductors. Sorry I don't know the H value of any of those.)
            I was using the Torres Mid Boost/Cut control for a few years and then I tried A/B-ing it in and out of the circuit. Although the "7" position was supposedly neutral it was still taking a huge chunk out of the signal. Maybe that is okay if your pickups are way over the top to begin with, but you would never want to have it always in the circuit for nice pickups.

As for the Torres Mid Cut control, with a 500k pot I find it to be fairly neutral when set to 10- in fact, more neutral than a typical 250k tone control. (My A/B test is strictly jumpering it in and out of the circuit and listening for any changes in volume or tone- nothing really scientific.)

In some of my guitars I put both mid controls on a single push-pull pot with the fairly neutral mid cut control wired up to the normal "push" position:

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/_gtr/dual_mid.gif

I'm not familiar with the Gibson L5 circuit but I do know that Craig Anderton had a similar mid control in his DIY books in the 80's- and he also used a Mouser audio transformer for the inductor.

FWIW Dan considers the 42TL021 audio transformer to be a 1.5H inductor.

Thanks!

Steve Ahola

P.S. With the high gain amps used today, losing a little bit of your signal is really no big thing. However, losing any of your fidelity is a different animal.

So the fact that the Torres passive mid boost actually cuts frequencies is not a deal killer. The problem is that in many people's opinion it sucks tone big time.

P.S.S. As for adding a series resistor at the "top" or "bottom" of the Torres mid cut control, that is exactly what I did with one of my Les Pauls- I rewired one of the 300k tone pots to act as a global mid cut and added resistors in series with the pot so that the control would respond as I wanted it to. IMO it works really great, as you can use it to clean up the sound of the humbuckers- not that it makes them sound like single coil pickups (as the sales literature would have you believe) but it does sweeten the sound up a lot.
            Attached Files
            The Blue Guitar
            www.blueguitar.org
            Some recordings:
            https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by nopainkiller View Post
              I found this http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/potm.htm about reducing a pots value. And some cool treble bleeds, but I'd like to kneow if I could make my 500k pots higher.
              I really like the article you posted. Makes me want to build a guitar! I never thought of paralleling a pot with a resistor to adjust resistance before! Great idea!

Comment

hey just saw yer questionb, I got the 1 meg push/pull pots from smallbearelec.com i think. But you prolly know them, so I could be wrong. I might have just searched it on google, and bought a couple. I really wanted to get the 1 meg pots for the volume. When I bought my guitar it was re-wired so that everything was bypassed except a master volume. So I wanted to preserve the brightness. My guitar was dark, I thought, and definetly bassy and boomy. Bass cut fixed that, altought I get a thinner twangier sound, less gain. But it really does sound like the beatles on revolver.

Comment

I'm also thinking about replacing the push/pull tone pot with a rotary switch, and making a varitone. But then I would lose the push/pull and the tone would be on both pick-ups. I think I might still do it.

Comment

Working...
                  X