Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zoom MRS-802 Multitrak recording studio - faulty… hard drive issue? Replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoom MRS-802 Multitrak recording studio - faulty… hard drive issue? Replace?

My Dad bought this zoom MRS-802 Multitrak Recording Station and surprise surprise, it doesn’t work.

He’s given it to me but I’m not really sure what I’m looking for… anyone worked on one of these before?!

It powers up and says ‘check drives’ then appears to power off straight away… powers back on ‘check drives’ then powers off etc etc forever. So I’m guessing it can’t find the drive?

If I hold down the ‘clear’ button when it powers on it says ‘ROM UTY MRS802’ and will hold on the screen until more buttons are pressed (this makes me think it’s not a power issue) most buttons do nothing from this screen but pressing either ‘bounce’ or ‘mark’ buttons changes the display to ‘check intHDD’ - before reverting back to the on off ‘check drives’ loop listed above.

Anyone have one of these or ever repaired one and know what the issue is likely to be? The only thing I can think is to replace the hdd and try it again, but I thought I’d best check before wasting money if it’s beyond that.

video link: https://youtube.com/shorts/nSrkqCF6a7I?feature=share
    My Dad bought this zoom MRS-802 Multitrak Recording Station and surprise surprise, it doesn’t work. He’s given it to me but I’m not really sure what I’m look...

There are some test routines and a re-format/re-initialize procedure. Take a look here as a starting point;
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/20....html?page=138

Comment

Ah thank you, I didn’t find any info like this when I searched! I’ll have a read and see what can be tried

Comment

Ah no my mistake, I did see this… unfortunately I can’t get past that first step of hold down ‘clear’ then press ‘mark’ as it just goes back into its check drives loop - there’s no other options. I’ll have another read in the morning though maybe I’m being daft and not following instructions properly

Comment

Are you holding down the "clear" as you power up or trying to do it after it's already powered? You need to hold down the key while you power up the unit to get into diagnostic mode. You should then be able to get to a scandisk option, and that is what I'd try first (with the auto repair option). It could simply be that data on the drive is corrupt.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Yeah, holding it as I power on. I’ll play around with it a bit more today to see if I can get it to do anything else

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
              There are some test routines and a re-format/re-initialize procedure. Take a look here as a starting point;
              https://www.manualslib.com/manual/20....html?page=138
              So from looking through the manual, most options are out as I can’t get it past that initial step of power on the get to the menu for the various tests.

The only thing that looks possible is the factory initialise where it says put the CD (that came with the unit) in and then power on and you should get options. Naturally I don’t have that cd. I see people sell the disc for £15 on eBay, which is insane, so I’ll see if I can find a download link somewhere

Comment

I understand your pity for the money spent, but I think the cost of getting this thing to work is not worth it

Comment

Zoom started as an effects manufacturer, but they also specialize in producing entry-level multitrack audio workstations with a hard disk drive. The Zoom MRS802 is a great addition to their expanding range. I know this device is used as resources for middle school students. In the MRS802, songs are saved as Projects, where a Project contains not only the audio data you record but also the settings about the recorder and mixer sections, plus any rhythm and effects settings used in the Project. Replacing the hard disk will not solve the problem, so look for a good handyperson.

Comment

In case you haven't found this yet, ZOOM website stuff. Official manual, and some software, plus the firmware. Not sure how to apply firmware (USB?, or download and burn to CD to boot unit to?) but if you can figure that out, may be worth a try to download?

In the Firmware, there are folders for MACOSX, and MRS-802...

In the the MRS-802, there is a Mac and a Windows folder. In each are folders and files for "Updater for CD" and "Updater for USB".

I have no idea what these are for exactly. Do they "update the CD or USB" firmware in the unit, only? Or, are these meant to put onto either a CD or USB to then, somehow, apply the firmware for the entire unit? (Boot to it, whatever?)

Maybe someone here, or at Zoom, may know?

https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/digital-m...s-802-support/

Brad1
                    Last edited by Brad1; 07-09-2022, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	0220241548.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	994435I have solved problems with my MRS 802 more than once by replacing the power supply. I don't know why, but it has worked. Now I use an old PC power supply. For some reason you are supposed to short the green wire to a black one (photo).

Comment

Originally posted by Hormon View Post
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	0220241548.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	994435I have solved problems with my MRS 802 more than once by replacing the power supply. I don't know why, but it has worked. Now I use an old PC power supply. For some reason you are supposed to short the green wire to a black one (photo).
                        That is to act a switch on a computer case. When you hit that power button it shorts connections to turn on.
                        When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

I solved my latest instance of IntHDD Error by opening the back and pressing on the cable connections to ensure good contact. At other times it has been solved with a new power supply or ultimately by using an old PC power supply.

Comment

Working...
                          X