Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying Weber Mass 100

Merry Christmas to you and yourn!

I've been putting off doing something about this for far too long. It's New Year's resolution time, so here goes.

I have this Mass 100 attenuator. It has a treble boost switch, a two-position, not the three-position of the schematic. I have to use it at a very low level which makes the bright setting way too bright (but the off position is unusable - too dark/dull). I wonder if I can replace the switch with a pot.

What say you guys?

webermass100-gif.186803 (1200×783) (musiker-board.de)

No, you can't replace the treble boost switch with a pot. You're switching caps in or out of the circuit. But you can certainly tinker with the value of C1/C2 (or whatever is actually present in your MASS).
    --
    I build and repair guitar amps
    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

What about adding a resistor in series with it?

Comment

I would check how the treble boost circuit is wired up.
        If you only have a 2 position switch what capacitors are in it?
        The 3 position switch may be a later model to cure exactly what you are experiencing.
        You might want to consider modding yours up to a 3 position and adding another 10uf cap in series.

Comment

OR add another cap in series???

I haven't been inside the thing for years. It has weird screws. I think I have the right tools to get into it now. It'll be a couple days before I can get to it.

Comment

Or just add the series cap to the existing boost setting to tame it.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The Weber Mass Lite uses a 50R/100W pot for Mids-Highs adjustment:
              https://www.freestompboxes.org/membe...erMASSLite.gif
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Not sure what you're suggesting. That's the Ohmite thing, I think, that you're talking about. Here's some pics of the innards.
                inside weber mass at DuckDuckGo

Comment

Originally posted by Boy Howdy View Post
                  Not sure what you're suggesting. That's the Ohmite thing, I think, that you're talking about. Here's some pics of the innards.
                  inside weber mass at DuckDuckGo
                  Yes, Ohmite is a manufacturer of power pots.
                  The Weber Mass Lite uses 2 of them, see schematic.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I can't put two of them in there though, wouldn't fit. There kinda expensive too.

I can't understand why a resistor (flameproof?) wouldn't work in series with the cap.

Comment

I can't put two of them in there though, wouldn't fit. There kinda expensive too.

I can't understand why a resistor (flameproof?) wouldn't work in series with the cap.
                      Sure, you could experiment with increasing the value of R7, but it seems you need to use 50W rated resistors.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Now we're gettin' somewhere. I'm just looking at the schematic and the innards pic and the mouser catalog - looks like it's not your standard resistor. Something unfamiliar. Have to look into it

What about putting a regular resistor in parallel with the existing resistor? Going bigger would mean less bright, I would think?

Comment

What about putting a regular resistor in parallel with the existing resistor? Going bigger would mean less bright, I would think?
                          You can't use regular low power resistors here because it's speaker power level.
                          Higher resistance lowers treble boost.
                          You can wire resistors in series to increase resistance.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Duh, I was thinking caps not resistor. My mistake.

So then, no easy way out. Hmm.

Comment

Well, I'll be. . . .

I opened it up this morning. This version is pretty different from the schematic I posted. I haven't as yet found one for this older model. It has a 2mF treble boost cap.

x911oieq0bboym2hxnfk.jpg (620×465) (reverb.com)

Comment

Working...
                              X