No announcement yet.

Problem with JVC KD-A22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The counter likely has its own belt, and not driven by the takeup reel.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Well, the autostop was not stopping things because I was holding the play button down to show the movement. OC disorder, I will try to short those two them and see what happens. Regarding Enzo's question, yes. The take up reel stops before stopping, the counter pulley (don't know what part that is really) is moving because I am keeping the play button down. Enzo, I bought the mineral spirits and it did some cleaning but the problem persists, I also bought a belt kit to replace them, besides the problem I want to solve this is becoming fun for me. I really appreciate your guys' help

Comment

Well, you definitely want the unit to stop if the take up reel quits turning. Otherwise it will eat and destroy your tapes. The capstan/pinch roller will keep moving the tape but the take up reel won't pick it up. So the tape will end up unspooled out of the casette shell and in the machine.
        If you fix the take up reel problem, the auto-stop should no longer be an issue, and can remain enabled. It will save the tape from being stretched and damaged when it reaches the end. Also prevent damage to the rubber parts which will keep trying to move the tape that has reached the end.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

G1. Thanks for your reply. My intentions with this would imply being on top hitting stop. But, it would be nice to have the autostop to work of course. What would be your suggestion for dealing with that issue. I just bought a belt kit hoping that would do it. What else would you suggest. I don't know if you read that part but I am very ignorant and new to this but willing to learn and put effort. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Ilikemusic View Post
            I just bought a belt kit hoping that would do it. What else would you suggest.
            In your screen shot of the 'mechanical parts' there is #11, 'take up idler ass'y.' It probably has a rubber 'tire' running around it's outside circumference. If that dries out or gets too worn, the take up reel will not be driven by the idler assy. You can try your rubber cleaner on it and see if the take up reel starts working.
            It was probably not included in the belt kit, but they can be found if you get the exact measurement. Search for 'idler tire'.

Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

"Well, the autostop was not stopping things because I was holding the play button down to show the movement. OC disorder, I will try to short those two, then and see what happens. Regarding Enzo's question, yes. The take up reel stops before stopping, the counter pulley (don't know what part that is really) is moving because I am keeping the play button down"

I realise you were holding the button down - I assumed the counter pulley/magnet assembly was driven from the take-up spool therefore if that belt was slipping preventing the magnet from turning it would assume it was time to auto stop. The auto stop is there for a reason as G1 and Enzo state. If it wasn't there the motor would tug on the tape until it breaks.
              See my Ben Hur II still showing the counter magnet/pulley I saw turning. I am now thinking it's the clutch !

To clarify -I only meant to connect those wires together as a test to see if the electronics was faulty.
              They need to be reconnected to the switch where they previously were.
              Otherwise with an intermittent take up spool the tape would start tangling as the capstan drew more and more tape out
              as it wouldn't be taken up !

Click image for larger version  Name:	JVC KD A22 counter.jpg Views:	0 Size:	151.5 KB ID:	959642 Click image for larger version

Name:	JVC KD A22 mech.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	959644
              Last edited by oc disorder; 05-04-2022, 03:43 AM.

Comment

G1 Thanks! I will look for the idler tire, I might as well replace it since I am going to replace the belts, I got a little intimidated by the idea of taking apart the mechanism to replace them, hopefully I don't have to take too much apart.

OC Disorder. Thanks for taking so much time and give so much detail! So, yes the magnet and the counter belt do rotate. Now you are saying the issue might a slipping clutch, what can I do about it? I did a google search and it looks like a common problem but I would be really interested in your suggestion to fix it. Thanks!

Comment

OC Disorder!!! Thanks!!! So, thank you for teaching me what shorting is. I did as you suggested and the pulse of horror is no longer there when I hear the playback, this is a huge success. Also after applying Enzo's suggestions with the mineral spirits everything seems to be working much better. Yesterday, it was like starting playback being slow for a second at first and then to normal, today it is not doing that. Now, as G1 has suggested having the autostop do its thing would be ideal and I am willing to give this a try. However, my intentions buying this deck is basically to bring music from my DAW (Digital Audio Workstation, Music software) to the deck, saturate the tape so that I can get that nice saturation and then back to the computer, so if let's say I am going to be doing this with a song or a drum loop, I will be rarely at the point where the tape gets to the end of it, I am however worried about rewinding and hurting the tape when it gets to the end, but I can do the stopping, after all the tape does get to that point where the full strength is pulling the tape for a second before the autostop works right? Anyway, if we can get the autostop to do its thing that would be nice, and I would love to learn how to service this thing so that I can deal with the issues that may come and this has been really fun. So, how do we deal with a slipping clutch? Thanks again everybody!

Comment

Well that's good to be finally getting somewhere. Enzo's first question identified the problem "Does the take-up reel stop turning before it stops?" so now I presume when in play the takeup spool rotates smoothly ?
                    There are many different types of mechanisms for this , your one depends on the capstan rotating the idler wheel which
                    in turn rotates the take up spool. So any grease on those may cause "slippage" with the take up being erratic.
                    Also you will note the actual take up spindle sits in a cup (for want of a better term ) which is the part that the idler wheel
                    has contact with. In that "cup" there is often some sort of felt which allows the take up spindle which sits on it to slip on.
                    There is a strong possibility that dismantling the take up spindle to get to the felt or whatever it is may permanently damage the spindle. The tiny washers that secure them often cannot be reused.
                    It has to be able to slip as the take up spool starts with a small circumference and as it fills the circumference gets bigger.
                    Also I find it difficult to explain...!
                    Regarding short circuits it doesn't mean they are length challenged- a good example is when wiring in a car often bunched together develops a short !
                    Usually the insulation around the wire breaks down or crumbles which allows the bare metal of the wires to touch together which sometimes can start a fire.
                    Before cassettes became obsolete it was possible to buy complete take up assembly's complete with clutches !
                    If it is running smoothly now I would recommend re-connecting those wires to the pause switch.

P.S. I thought you could buy plugins these days to simulate tape saturation? Maybee heavy compression with a touch of distortion could work too???

Comment

Originally posted by Ilikemusic View Post
                      ...... However, my intentions buying this deck is basically to bring music from my DAW (Digital Audio Workstation, Music software) to the deck, saturate the tape so that I can get that nice saturation and then back to the computer,.....
                      While I can appreciate the effort, IMO this would be better achieved with a plugin. There are many available. Going DAW to deck and back again will get you the tape saturation sound, but is also going to degrade the signal quite a bit. You'll likely add frequency response loss, maybe some wow and flutter, etc. Here are some examples of free saturation plugins I found with just one search. Doing your own search would probably yield even more.

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/202...n-vst-plugins/
                      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

OC Disorder and the Dude, Thanks for the suggestion. I do have some saturation plugins and they are ok but there is always something there that sound off with digital saturation. I love plugins though. Also once I bring the signal back to the DAW I am planning to mix with the original signal to create some kind of WET/DRY effect function. The real reason it is just kind of fun to do things like that and I am intrigued. I am already having fun bringing the signal out of the DAW and through my guitar pedals and back to the DAW. Totally unnecessary enjoyment with toys.

Comment

Working...
                        X