Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony discman Q

Hi chaps,

anyone know if a sony (cd) discman can somehow be boosted, to get more volume out of a small set of Bose 6x3" speakers? Obviously "use a hifi amp" would be a way, but what I mean is, is there any cheap tiny amp (its for a small workshop, like 3w or so fine) of some kind? or some other way ?

I just need a "boost", rather than say plugging it into my twin reverb & turning it to 10! I dont have room for a bulky hifi amp you see.

Thanks alot, SC

you might well be suprised by an amplified speaker. I have a JBL clip on speaker (clip it on my belt loop) and use the bluetooth and I can get about 50 feet away from music player an still have my tunes with me. it also has a jack to plug in a music player.
    nosaj
    JBL Clip 3 is an ultra-portable and waterproof Bluetooth® speaker with powerful sound and up to 10 hours of playtime for any adventure. With the integrated carabiner, you can easily hook it on bags or a belt loop, and bring your music with you.
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
      you might well be suprised by an amplified speaker. I have a JBL clip on speaker (clip it on my belt loop) and use the bluetooth and I can get about 50 feet away from music player an still have my tunes with me. it also has a jack to plug in a music player.
      nosaj
      Hi nosaj, actually I had a sony minidisc player, with a snooker-ball sized speaker, similar Id imagine. This was perfect, even mono & I think about 3w, but alas both the player ( far superior to this discman cd player) & spkr are kaput.

So, having far more cd's as a resource.. & cd discman's being ebay cheap, I bought one & hooked it up to these diddy (un amplified) decent -two- bose speakers. Hoped to get - just- about enough volume... but no, I'm way off.

So hence asking about something possibly " between " the discman & the pretty decent quality pair of tiny bose speakers. Just 3w evidently, being all I need.

Thanks, SC

Comment

Well your problem is those devices only put out line level signal so you need an amplified source. Ditch the bose speakers get an amplified speaker to hook up to a discman or cdplayer.
        Problem solved. The one I linked covers all your bases.
        nosaj

Comment

Those are kind of expensive. And he already has speakers he would like to use.
          I bet at the thrift store you could find some little powered speakers for desktop computer for 5 bucks or less. Disconnect the crappy speakers and hook up the bose instead.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
            I bet at the thrift store you could find some little powered speakers for desktop computer for 5 bucks or less. Disconnect the crappy speakers and hook up the bose instead.
            I just presented the simplest viable option that hoped wouldn't snowball into megapages.
            nosaj

Comment

Sounds like a job for China ! There's zillions of kits there and usually they are cheaper than the parts at trade !
              I'll put a link here but it may not work overseas.
              From your location are you sure you are allowed to have a hi -fi ?......
              This looks like you can run it from a 5v charger. It looks like you get 5 for the price of 1 !
              The distortion specs don't look very promising.
              But hey , it's only about an inch square so it won't take up much bench space.
              Trouble is you may have to wait a few weeks !
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Pam 8403.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	959943 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pam.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	959944

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000063072479.html?

Comment

I have several type D amps like the Lepai LP-2020TI, some I bought off Ebay without their required power bricks (I have plenty of those!) for VERY cheap.

They should drive your Bose speakers quite well. A good rule of thumb on the class D amps is assume they can do about 50% of their promised power in any sort of acceptable %THD! Some resellers (PartsExpress) try to correct this, while the Far East does not.

I use them to power some very cheap Clist speakers, currently older Polks (their rubber surrounds age well) and KEF Codas which I like.

Amp boards without cases are cheaper still, and PE even has some in stock! https://www.parts-express.com/itemca...ords=amplifier
                you can probably find this one visually if PE won't ship to you, several identical units are on AliExpress for <$5 USD
                Click image for larger versionName:	Capture.jpgViews:	0Size:	73.1 KBID:	959948
                Last edited by tedmich; 05-08-2022, 06:22 PM.

Comment

2 x 10W Amplifier Kit with Headphone/Audio Out Jack (parts-express.com)
                  Plug & play.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post

That's the idea! Great plan.. ok on the hunt for some thrift store powered pc spkrs.

Thanks g1. Sc

Comment

Hi JPB. Hey fab.. this is even better idea. If only we had that exact thing sold in UK. Hmm gotta do some searching.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post

Hi JPB. Hey fab.. this is even better idea. If only we had that exact thing sold in UK. Hmm gotta do some searching.

this says it ships from UK!
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.7 KB ID:	960129

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post

this says it ships from UK!
                          Click image for larger version Name:	cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.7 KB ID:	960129
                          Hi tedmich.. this looks great. I am left to add all sorts of bits tho, & 8-24v: so could this be run from a footpedal 9v?

The battery thing I didn't account for.

Alternatively, I do have a powered pair of speakers ( Harmon kardon ) BUT the tiny amp part is only putting out one channel/ was gonna bin it today, but thought " could this be repaired ? " & kept the one speaker with the amp bit in.

Not exactly a twin reverb in compexity! Its pcb is only 2" square. Would you think this might be repairable-?

Thanks, SC

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post

Hi tedmich.. this looks great. I am left to add all sorts of bits tho, & 8-24v: so could this be run from a footpedal 9v?
                            The battery thing I didn't account for.
                            Alternatively, I do have a powered pair of speakers ( Harmon kardon ) BUT the tiny amp part is only putting out one channel/ was gonna bin it today, but thought " could this be repaired ? " & kept the one speaker with the amp bit in.
                            Not exactly a twin reverb in compexity! Its pcb is only 2" square. Would you think this might be repairable-?
                            Thanks, SC
                            Ideally you'd use a wall wart capable of 21V at ~ 4A ,an old laptop power brick comes to mind, these are thrown away by the hundreds daily in a medium sized city, I could send you three right now if I had your post! A typical 9V pedal supply is 0.5A tops, so 4.5W; it would not work well.

You want to know if a 2" sq SMD PCB made for ~$0.12 each by child labor in China is REPAIRABLE? Do you own a hot air rework station?

Anything is repairable but are we talking a budget -> zero? If you can't afford a $2 amp and a free power supply, I'd suggest you buy food instead, by all means!

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
                              Ideally you'd use a wall wart capable of 21V at ~ 4A ,an old laptop power brick comes to mind, these are thrown away by the hundreds daily in a medium sized city, I could send you three right now if I had your post! A typical 9V pedal supply is 0.5A tops, so 4.5W; it would not work well.

You want to know if a 2" sq SMD PCB made for ~$0.12 each by child labor in China is REPAIRABLE? Do you own a hot air rework station?

Anything is repairable but are we talking a budget -> zero? If you can't afford a $2 amp and a free power supply, I'd suggest you buy food instead, by all means!
                              Haha.

No I mean with postage, & the other bits including making an enclosure, sourcing a PC adaptor ( tho msy have one), & building it.. is all going to add up & be somewhat time consuming.

So I was wondering instead if the fairly decent quality -& stereo- Harmon Kardon powered speakers' amp, which resides in one of the two speakers Ive kept ( with its power adaptor), could be fixed.

One channel works, the other does not.

Thanks, SC

Comment

Working...
                              X