Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a midi device that allows expression pedal without the rest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a midi device that allows expression pedal without the rest?

In other words, i don't want a midi controller with numerous buttons, i just want to use a expression pedal. I have modeling amp that has midi but I just want to know if there is a simple box that will accept a EXP pedal and covert it to midi without all the other mid crap? Amp has a DIN midi connector and has parameters for the EXP pedal in software.

Not what you asked for, but might give you ideas:
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...pression-pedal

Then there is this, which looks like exactly what you asked:
    https://beatbars.com/en/midi-expression-pedal.html
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Well, thanks Enzo. But the first one works with USB and the other one is gonna be probably $200-250 USD shipped to U.S. Plus I was hoping for a cheap little box thats just an interface to interface a pot and footswitch to mimic 2 positions of a generic exp pedal. I actually don't want a volume pedal, just wanna toggle a footswitch between 2 different volume levels. So if there was a cheap interface i could just build the guts of that and the few parts for a generic EXP into a box.

Comment

Well at least products are out there that anticipate your need. MIDI is a digital control signal, not just a simple conversion. So whatever box you get/make will have to have a computer circuit of some sort.

Here is a little item might be adaptable
        https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...iABEgKiifD_BwE
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Recently I've discovered Arduino, specifically the Nano 3. These things are dirt cheap and consist of a small 20-pin board with a processor, USB socket and all support components. Programming is straightforward - load the Arduino system on your laptop/PC, and connect a USB cable. You can find many 'sketches' (the term used for the program code) to download and compile to the Arduino board. I've been using MIDI functions with Arduino for about 6 months and I'm impressed with what you can do with them. MIDI over DIN is straightforward. You don't need to know anything about programming and once programmed you treat the Nano like its a regular IC, though the circuits are very simple, as so much is taken care of on-board - even the 5v regulator is present.

This is about as simple as it gets for component count, though there are many Arduino MIDI expression pedal examples; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp3aONkvUP8

Click image for larger version

Name:	schem.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	961002
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Mick Bailey; 05-23-2022, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
            Recently I've discovered Arduino, specifically the Nano 3. These things are dirt cheap and consist of a small 20-pin board with a processor, USB socket and all support components. Programming is straightforward - load the Arduino system on your laptop/PC, and connect a USB cable. You can find many 'sketches' (the term used for the program code) to download and compile to the Arduino board. I've been using MIDI functions with Arduino for about 6 months and I'm impressed with what you can do with them. MIDI over DIN is straightforward. You don't need to know anything about programming and once programmed you treat the Nano like its a regular IC, though the circuits are very simple, as so much is taken care of on-board - even the 5v regulator is present.

This is about as simple as it gets for component count, though there are many Arduino MIDI expression pedal examples; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp3aONkvUP8

Click image for larger version

Name:	schem.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	961002
            Now THAT sir, is interesting ! I may try that, as there is a newer version for 10 bucks on ebay. However, theres a midi controller i just found out about called M-vave that has a bluetooth wireless connection and 4 buttons and together with a wireless DIN addon i'd be able to do just what i want by using it to switch the effects loop on and off and put a pot in the loop to set volume a tad lower giving am a adjustable volume boost. But the advantages are wireless and 3 more buttons for other functions that i don't necassarily need but would be nice. So for about $40-50 total for both i may give it a go. If not i might try thi arduino thing. Tho i will likely run into a bunch of gotcha's with something like that since i am midi ignorant.

Comment

A few more options:

Comment

Working...
              X