Help me ID a speaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me ID a speaker

I have a Gallien Krueger 200MK kayeboard amplifier. I repaired the amp section but noticed that the speaker surround was deteriorating. For some strange reason the original speaker had a foam surround!

I have only seen one other guitar amp with a foam surround namely a Fender Accoustisonic. Usually foam surround speakers are in home audio gear. Foam surrounds certainly do not hold up well.

The only markings on this 12" speaker is 00639 10980z9. I think the "1098" might indicate "Pyle".

It looks like there are three places that sell recone supplies: Springfield Spealer, Simply Speaker, and Speaker Exchange. Which of these are your favorite?

Thanks!

There's also a guy on Reverb who sells recone parts, try to contact him with dimensions.

Comment

I have purchased several foam kits from Simply Speakers. You can go on their web site and chat online with a Rep. Tell them what you have. It looks like the foam you would want is this one -

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/single-speaker-foam-edge-repair-kit-fsk-12f-1.html

There was a situation or two where the foam was just a skosh too big. So I cut it, overlapped, glued, and that worked just fine.

I think a new speaker on the G&K web site or Full Compass will go for $80 to $100.

Good luck....
      It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

If you have someone local who does speakers usually it is like $25 to get a speaker surround redone. I think all the speaker surrounds on the little GK combos back then had the foam surrounds and almost all have died by now.

Comment

It makes sense that a keyboard amp would use a foam surround speaker with a tweeter for low end response. There are lots of surrounds/repair kits on eBay. Just search 12" speaker surround. You just have to measure up the one you have to make sure the replacement will work. Also note if flat or angled. if you go that route, make sure you cut off the dust cap and shim the voice coil before you glue on the new surround. It's critical that the coil remain centered in the gap.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

The only way to get Bass in very small cabinet, such as those in GK, is to have a very soft speaker suspension, both the spider and the cone edge, so plain paper is too stiff, typical is doped cloth or foam, which works very well, only problem is it starts rotting after 10-15 years.

In modern throw away society, that is 9-14 years too long
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

So I thought I would STICK IT TO THE MAN and refoam my own speakrs. I bought supplies from Simply Speakers. I reconed the 12" speaker and realized I had two old 8" Pyle speakers that also needed refoaming. It worked out okay, but I would not want to do it for a living.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1896.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	962968

Comment

Hi Axtman,
                I am considering to buy such an old beast with broken foam suspensor because I once used and liked its bass brother 200mb.

Now I am surprised about your foto with the 2 other speakers. Or are they from another device ? I am not sure I got your text right ...

And did you finally manage to fix the other, electronic problems (like missing half wave) as well ?

thanks in advance, !

Comment

Working...
                X