Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Webcor 210 reel recorder, beryllium copper frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webcor 210 reel recorder, beryllium copper frame?

Someone gave me this tube Webcor 210 reel machine. There are mechanical issues and is not a coveted reel recorder so I am gutting it to do a amp conversion. The chassis for the mechanical parts looks like copper, but seems very stiff and strong, not like copper. I know beryllium copper is known to be much stronger than pure copper (although I think of it having more spring than stiffness, but this stuff is pretty thick). Just wondering if I need to take any special precautions in disposing it. Since it looks cool I was going to offer it for someone to do some craft or steampunk stuff, but don't want to give anyone cancer, even if it just goes to the recycling center.

TIA,
    Greg

does a magnet stick to it? i had a sweep meter got to salvage I thought was copper , a magnet stuck to it no dice.
    nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post
      The chassis for the mechanical parts looks like copper, but seems very stiff and strong, not like copper.
      On rare occasion I've run across chassis that were copper plated steel. IIRC an old Rickenbacker combo amp and maybe some funky hi fi amp maybe a Voice of Music. I know it's a tape recorder & magnets should be kept at a distance but . . . a magnet test will show, steel or not.

This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Y'all were right, magnet sticks to it, so plated steel. Didn't think of that at all, so thanks for the tip! Since the tape part of this i totally gutted there was no concern about magnets.

Comment

When recording in a mine or other flammable settings, the use of spark free metals , like beryllium copper, is a very good idea!!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	reel fire.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	966867

Comment

Working...
          X