Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DevilCat - Jimmy Volume settings: anyone have experience with these amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DevilCat - Jimmy Volume settings: anyone have experience with these amps?

Hello folks,
    First of all very sorry to hear about Enzo. I texted with him a number of months ago and of course he was very helpful as always.
    As for the DevilCat Jimmy:
    This customer claims that he has to nearly dime out all the volume settings on any channel as well as the Master volume to get it to a decent level. On the clean channel with tones set to flat & the volume set to max, I am experiencing a gain of about 10 between the input & the send jack which I believe is to be expected.

What I am mostly experiencing is that the Master volume action that is causing the impression that the volumes need to be turned up high to attain the same levels you would expect on a 'typical' amp.
    The master volume pot is a log 'A' pot and as a result most of its action takes place between 3/4 & full up.
    Once you get into that range of the pot the gain as you would expect raises exponentially. I believe a linear pot would probably solve this issue but it requires a pot with a pull switch that will require a bit of research and changing the design of an amp really isn't my forte unless the cust absolutely cannot live with this Master vol action. The pot is actually a dual section pot that the designer has paralleled both together. In this paralleled set-up, it reads 200K so I'm guessing it is most likely 500K per section (this is in-circuit so probably reading some other circuit elements).
    Ultimately, does anyone have any experience with this amp to know if this is how the Master volume responds?
    Thanx, glen

Is this a new symptom, or has the amp always been like this?
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Hello The Dude,
      Well since I posted, I contacted the end user & his description was a bit different than I originally received. Turns out to be nothing like the original symptom. This is a head & his symptom was at low volume when the note played is decaying, the sound becomes fizzy and sometimes makes no sound at all.
      I did not experience this symptom but am pretty sure his speaker (which I do not have) has cone-cry. Requested he bring in the speaker for testing.
      As for the response of the master volume pot: I was initially feeding the input with a padded down signal from my receiver. Weirdly, the master pot seemed to respond differently when I used a guitar as the signal. Live and loin!
      Thanx for the response.

Comment

Working...
      X