Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help identifying this component / labeling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying this component / labeling?

It is the part circled in blue. From a Guyatone GA-1200. It is probably a diode since it is downstream a 56V tap from the PT and there is a RC node following it. Just never seen it before.
    Anybody know how to read the labeling/value? Why would the connections be coiled like that? Thermal expansion?

Could be a diode or small value cap.
    How is it wired (schematic)?

Coiled wire might be used for strain relief.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

If it is coming off the 56V tap then it should be the rectifier diode for the bias voltage.
      Aside from strain relief coiled leads are sometimes also used for heat-sinking.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
        Aside from strain relief coiled leads are sometimes also used for heat-sinking.
        I doubt a thin, coiled wire can sink much heat.
        A short heavy wire connected to something massive would be much more effective.

Things would be different if the part needs to be connected to something hot.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

I doubt a thin, coiled wire can sink much heat.
          A short heavy wire connected to something massive would be much more effective.

Things would be different if the part needs to be connected to something hot.
          Agree but it is still sometimes used that way. In this case I was more thinking somebody was worried it was delicate when being soldered. Not sure why anyone would be worried about strain relief either, those power resistors must be heavier.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Well I thought "thermal isolation" at first too. But strain relief makes more sense. Whatever it is (probably a diode) Guyatone must have seen a few cracked ones or open lead terminations to coil them up like that. I would have thought a single loop would be enough.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post

Agree but it is still sometimes used that way. In this case I was more thinking somebody was worried it was delicate when being soldered.
              That's what I meant at the end of my comment, but wouldn't that be the opposite of heat sinking?
              More like impeding/avoiding heat transfer - rather than draining off heat.

Anyway those components must have been rather sensitive to mechanical stress or temperature.
              Last edited by Helmholtz; 09-25-2022, 10:48 PM.
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

looks like a diode, probably from the same manufacturer ("Origin Denki"(Origin Electronics)) as in this auction
                ink (there is a little blurb about a color code but no explanation for it) :

https://aucfree.com/items/b416186682

if you're trying to ID something, maybe stare at the circuit, and see what makes sense? On freestompboxes forum (IIRC) there was a discussion
                over how to read the color codes on some axial ceramic caps, and someone was suggesting to use some old color code chart for caps which
                didn't make sense for the circuit, but since I had a bit of experience (from looking at similar types in a Sansamp) in a way that made more sense
                for the circuit (sort of like resistors, where from one end YEL-PUR-ORG = 473(plus voltage and tolerance bands?) = 0.047uF(47nF)). Those (plus
                some metal film resistors) can be confusing to read though on deciding which end to start reading from (and if you don't know what the circuit is).

Also, (I'm vaguely remembering) that I may have some NOS in a similar package which which I bought long ago to use in a Shin-ei Octave Box
                clone (they might also have used them in Univibe IIRC) which maybe sparked my memory.

Comment

Looking at whatever Guyatone schematics I could find I see that all the amps in the GA-XXXX series have a resistor followed by a diode off a 50V bias supply. I didn't see a "1200" schematic or I'd have posted it.
                  "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                  You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Definitely a diode, have seen them many times before. Assemblers were probably cracking the leads seal so that was so give it some cushion.

I've seen 1 loop on regular glass passivated diodes.
                    Last edited by mozz; 09-26-2022, 10:20 AM.

Comment

When you look at old footage of tagstrip/eyelet/turret assembly lines the operators solder a joint up in a fraction of a second using high-power, high temperature irons. I'm also thinking that the coiling is to reduce thermal stress on the component during manufacture.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	SM diode suporting Atlas .jpg
Views:	164
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	969541 I think you're missing something here - the initials give it away even the logo looks similar and obviously sprung because of what its holding up..

sorry , I couldn't help myself !

Comment

I agree with the others- it's probably a diode. But why guess? Check it with your DVM and find out.
                          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                            Looking at whatever Guyatone schematics I could find I see that all the amps in the GA-XXXX series have a resistor followed by a diode off a 50V bias supply. I didn't see a "1200" schematic or I'd have posted it.
                            that's also something I would've done (look at other schematics from the same manf. to look for similarities).

re: a schematic, true there wasn't/isn't one avail. (I couldn't find one searching in English and Japanese) but seeing how simple it looks it wouldn't look like too much of a hassle to draw one out (well maybe just for that area if just trying to figure out what that one part is). I mean it looks like a breeze comparatively speaking to modern surface mount stuff with tiny parts (some of which have no markings) and multi-layer boards, hidden traces, much more complexity with digital circuits and whatnot. Far easier to see where things are going with something like this. If you've never traced out a circuit, it might feel daunting at first but I guess you have to just keep at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                              When you look at old footage of tagstrip/eyelet/turret assembly lines the operators solder a joint up in a fraction of a second using high-power, high temperature irons. I'm also thinking that the coiling is to reduce thermal stress on the component during manufacture.
                              But aren't other components the same or even more affected by thermal stress during manufacture and should thus show coiled leads as well? I'm thinking eg lytic and PiO caps, which I've both seen used in guyatone stuff. I always thought a ss diode as thermally and structurally rather inert compared to other components.

Comment

Working...
                              X